4. Hidden Opportunities

ZACK

1 WEEK LATER

Lights flickering and drenched in red colours in such a way that everything seemed to go in slow motion. Hands on steering and feeling as if the world is whirling around me. Watching the colours blur, all becoming a massive wash.

Struggling to focus and creating moments into one unholy smear.

Stuck in that moment where I saw that beautiful woman, who now clouds my thoughts and invades my notions. Something so angelic that seemed to caught my attention and pierced on my bones. I yearn to see her again, but yet again I am reminded that I might destroy her. I tried to forget her and protect her from the killer stamp, yet I still think of her.

Shutting down is easy when you live a life full of pain and torture. Real feelings are scary, but men like me don't deserve to be with someone so innocent.

Shattering small fragments of my attention, someone shouted, "ZACK!"

Looking at the source with an alertness, only to find Matteo, my older brother, staring at me with a mix of worry and irritation. Clearing my throat, I said, "What happen?"

Tearing my eyes from him, I started to gather where I was. Looking at every inch of the car, I remember that in few minutes a big meeting was about to happen. However, the look on my brother's face makes me remember the small blackout.

One night, one moment is that all it took to get me hooked.

Seconds ticked and Matteo finally asked, "Since the wedding, you are different. Did something happen?"

Unable to stare back into my brother's eyes, I was ready to shrug it off when two back doors were opened. Luciano, my other brother, and Castillo, my father, entered and watched the scene ahead.

Castillo asked, "Are you ready?"

Matteo faced the front mirror of the car and answered, "Yes."

Luciano continues, "This meeting is important. We need to get the job done."

Mafia meetings were very rare as it was dangerous for all the Bosses to in the same place. Police authorities would have a field day if they knew about it. However, only a few knew and any snitch would be killed within 24 hours.

Mafia Bosses were divided into all the cities; wherever they are from North or South. Donati family dominates the New York, thus making the power family. However, no one was yet elected as Head of Mafia Bosses, the Capo di Capi. Politics all around were messy and as for now everyone was happy with the arrangements.

Through New York streets, there were Capos, people who handled the business which were suppliers or deliverers. Everyone feared Luciano as he was known to be notorious of all of us. He is cunning and dangerous, but he follows the rules. Wherever, Luciano is impulsive, I am calm and collective. My job was to advice and collect the right information, that was being a consigliere.

Matteo is the Boss, the man that takes the difficult decisions. We were trained to be the best by Castillo, the man that forced us to be in this life.

With so many hurdles, this life still was a blessing, the only life that I know how to live.

Castillo's deep voice broke the train of thoughts, "I will see you boys inside."

He opens the door and stops when he sees John Tasarov standing with his son. His sick aura polluting the air with a smug face while he talks to Castillo. Only I knew how much my father despised the young Tasarov in front of him, however John was another story.