Ria's ears attuned sharply to every smallest sound around her.

The crickets filling the silence in the night with their chirping. In the bathroom, water trickled drop by drop. Each drop plonking into the basin with its distinct noise.

Then the pipes groaned, almost as through someone had trapped a being there and choked the life out of them.

The windows creaked along their hinges as they swung with the wind outside.

Ria jolted out of the bed rushing over to close the windows, blotting them shut. Her heart thumping in her chest even as cold sweat broke out along her palms.

She sank into the chair next to the window when her ears picked up gentle creaking of the wooden stairs outside. Creak after creak. Each creak closer to her room than the last one. Too regimented for it to be wind or chance. Too gentle for it to be Shiv.

Just as it started, the creaking stopped merging into silence. She watched her door pushing herself into the back of the chair, away from the door.

A loud bang rang against the door.

***

A shrill scream rung from within the room.

Shiv's hands stilled against the door for a second before it banged against in loudly. "Ria!"

Before he knew it, the door flung open and a missile protected itself at him. He was knocked back a few steps by the sheer momentum.

He looked in front of him. Ria was wrapped around his torso. His eyes widened. "Ria?" he blurted tentatively.

She stood still for a second and then shoved him away, striding back into her room and banging the door closed.

Shiv stood there, his eyebrows riding high into his forehead and jaw stuck open.

***

Ria stood against the closed door, gasping. A hand on her stomach, trying to keep the pasta from making an appearance.

Another bang rang against her door. Gentle this time. Almost tentative.

She took a deep breath, blanked her expression and opened the door.

Shiv was looking at her cautiously, his head tilted to the side, "Ria?"

"What is it?" she asked plainly.

Shiv pulled his head back for a second, before shaking it, "Nisha's friend is going to be here tomorrow at 9am to shoot the video."

"Okay."

He narrowed his eyes at her, "What is going on with you?"

"What do you mean?" she tried to keep her tone casual.

"Do you scream for fun?"

Ria narrowed her eyes at him, even as her brain went into overdrive. Finally, she ground out, "I was practicing."

"Practicing?" he asked raising his eyebrows and giving her a knowing nod.

"Yes. For the video tomorrow."

"It was realistic," Shiv said crossing his arms.

"Of course. I do everything to perfection."

"Right," Shiv said with a smirk, "Are you going to be practicing some more tonight?"

"Why?"

"Just trying to understand if I am to get any sleep tonight," Shiv shrugged before turning towards his room, "Carry on."

"Shiv!" Ria called out before she could stop herself.

Shiv paused and turned around looking at her sideways, "What?"

"Is there a cemetery next doors?" she blurted.

Shiv grinned, "I thought you didn't believe me?"

"I don't," she said primly.

"Then why are you bothered?" Shiv asked leaning casually against his door.

"I am not."

"Good," he shrugged pushing away from the door and turning around, "See you tomorrow."

"Shiv."

"Will you stop screaming and let me get some sleep if I tell you there is nothing there?" he asked.

"You are an ass."

***

Ria could barely keep her eyes open as she plopped some of the breakfast in his plate and pushed it towards him. She had been awake the entire night because of the idiot in front of her. The one who was smiling at her with a knowing look in his well-rested eyes.

"It doesn't look at bad as I expected it to," he said scrutinizing the food on the plate.

"My life's work is accomplished," Ria said clucking a coffee filled mug next to him.

"Careful. Sam's grandma doesn't like guests breaking things," Shiv said grinning at her.

Ria narrowed her eyes at him.

"What is this supposed to be?" Shiv asked taking a whiff of the food.

"Quinoa upma," Ria muttered.

"Healthy," Shiv nodded before spooning some, "I don't remember Sam getting any quinoa for us though. Did you get it?" he asked eating the spoonful.

"Oh! he didn't?" Ria asked looking at him wide-eyed, "Then what is this?"

Shiv spluttered the food out on the plate quickly, "What the hell did you use then?"

"I don't know," Ria said tentatively, "I thought it was quinoa in the jar."

"What jar?"

"The one in the very back," she added softly.

"Where is it?"

"I used all of it up," Ria said frowning, "Sorry."

Shiv muttered under his breath as he strode towards the fridge and pulled out couple of eggs.

Ria walked outside, her lips curling into a smirk. 

She breathed in the aroma of fresh coffee as she closed her eyes and enjoyed the breeze against her face.

"Ria?" a voice called out loudly.

It was shrill. Feminine. Worse, it was a voice Ria knew well.

Big hugs to all who have been reading, voting and commenting on the chapters. I cannot thank you enough. Hope you enjoy this one too. Loads more coming up soon as the plan goes full speed, but till then, I hope RIV are still keeping you entertained.

Do remember to hit the star to vote and do comment.