C h a p t e r O n e

[ V i s i t o r ]

I had a dream, a terrible one. Every moment in that dream changed so fast. Before I could react, the dream immediately changed into another one. It was like a bunch of dreams jumbled into one.

...

"Phoebe, wake up! You have to run!" said a voice. That voice was really warm and sounded familiar. I've heard it before, but my brain couldn't recall when. "It's your time, they'll save you!"

"Who will?" I shouted. "I can't leave. My mom is here!"

"She'll be fine," the voice answered. "It's dangerous. You have to go. Take this." Something floated in the air. There were a few white cotton balls floated then they started to spin. They spun so fast until the only thing I could see was white circle. Their speed slowed down and something came up. It was a silver necklace. The necklace was simple and light, it shone like moonlight. "This will protect you."

"Seriously? A necklace?"

"I'm so sorry, you are a very special kid. Now, listen carefully. Go to New York, go to Miniapolis Café and wait there."

The voice became very small, I couldn't really listen to it. "Wait for what?"

"I'm losing my time. They finally knew about you."

"Who did?"

...

I saw Mitchell lying on the road, his body drowned on his own pool of blood. Lots of sharp things stabbed his body. I was so scared. It was really horrible. Mitchell's face was in shock, his eyes were still open, but he did not breathe.

"You are next."

...

I smelled something fresh. Smelled like strawberry and grass. I opened my eyes slowly, apparently I was on top of a hill. I looked down, there was a camp, a strawberry field, people practiced using swords and arrows, I saw a half man half horse as well, lots of cabins, and a boy. He had dark raven hair, he had deep green ocean eyes, he looked a bit taller than me, he wore an orange t-shirt and a black jeans. He ran toward me with a panicked face.

It seemed that he screamed something to me but I couldn't hear his voice. I looked closely, I think he said.

"Run!"

Why everybody kept telling me to run? From whom I should've run? My mom? Oh yeah like she will kill me.

The sky darkened. I smelled something burned. I could not hear anything other than cutting sounds. I saw three grannies – they looked like Mrs. Holden – they knitted socks as big as their body. They stared at me sternly. Those cutting sounds got louder.

"No." I said to myself. I closed my ears with my hands. I was so scared but I didn't know why. I didn't even know them.

"Oh, oh, my dear..." said a voice. "Isn't it scary? This whole world is a scary place. You should come with me dear. You won't feel a thing. Come to me, child. I can help you. Just give up, lie on the ground and scream my name loudly."

"Who are you?"

"Me?" she laughed. "I'm where you are standing." I looked down. Plants root wrapped my feet. Suddenly I could see the lands from afar, I could see a woman face from the shades of earth. She was sleeping. But her voice came to my mind like a stereotype.

...

"Arrrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!" I jolted. I crunched my bed sheets. My body full of sweat. I could not control my breath. I woke up from my bed and tied my hair. That was the scariest dream I've ever had because it felt so real. I reached a glass of water in the table beside my bed. There it was. The silver necklace.