I tried not to dress up the next morning. I tried to just pretend to be suave. 

I found myself shaking as I tweezed.  

"You're primping," Paige accused. 

"I know. I can't help myself."

"You really like this guy?"

"No. Yes. Yeah, maybe. He's seeing someone."

"Your husband is dating someone else?"

"That sounds bad."

"That sounds crazy," she corrected. "Stop with the eyebrows, you're moving into Lil' Kim territory." 

I stepped away from the tweezers and pulled my sundress off the hanger. 

"You're wearing a front-open bra, Alice. For brunch? Is he gonna feel you up over quiche?"

"Shut up and help," I stepped in and pulled it over my shoulders. It was construction-sign yellow. 

"You and this guy and Starbucks are entire Dr. Phil special. You know that, right?"

"Zipper, Paige."

She pulled it up for me and then did the top button. 

"How do I look?"

She put her hands on her hips and inspected me. "Like a meringue. Good enough to eat."

I hugged her. 

The restaurant was buzzing when I arrived. I gave Jeb's name and they led me to a table in the back, where they had a play area for kids. Jeb and Jay were sitting with the boys. The baby was in a sling on Queenie's chest. OK, so this was a family thing

"Hey!" I plastered a smile on my face and waved.

"There you are!" Jeb stood as I approached. I met his eyes and tried not pant. He looked amazing in khakis and a linen shirt. 

"Congratulations on the job!" Queenie kissed my cheek. 

"Thanks but it's just temporary," I took my seat. "Like everything else, I guess."

The three of them all gave me a funny look. 

Right, that did sound a little Eyore. "Sorry. Can I try that again? My first paid teaching gig! Woo hoo!"

"There you go, sister."

I looked at the little foot sticking out of the sling and cocked my head. "Queenie, is the baby wearing a purple lace bootie?"

Jay started waving his hands like he was landing a plane. 

"What?" I asked him. 

"He's trying to warn you not to bring it up," Queenie rolled her eyes. "I may have unresolved issues. And like 100 girly outfits that I already had taken the tags off of and washed."

"That's on Jay for doing his own sonograms and getting it wrong."

"RIGHT?!?!" 

"So have you picked a name?"

Jay started waving his hands again.

"Currently, this little beauty is Baby Boy. He may stay that way if Jay doesn't chill."

"Wade is a good name," he argued.

"Wade is Deadpool's name. And before you say it again, I know that Logan is Wolverine's name. Marvel doesn't get to name my kid!! I will decide when I decide, what I decide."

"Trip's legal name is Jacob Scott, the third," Jeb explained. "Dad had just passed when he was born, so...anyway, it's Queenie's turn."

My eye's met Jeb's and my heart broke a little to realize that he'd lost both his fathers in the same year. That wasn't fair. But then again, little is.