Chapter Twenty Seven - Every Beginning Needs an End

Начните с самого начала

“The power of the human soul,” Xander clarifies. He holds up his wrist which bears his new amber charm. “You never told me how cool it was to be able to hear someone’s thoughts.”

“Invasion of privacy much?”

Xander laughs and I hug him tighter. His arms push me off reluctantly but with reason. Xan-Xan the man-man unveils my bracelet with the tawny bird trinket. I gasp, thankful to see it. The chain is clasped around my wrist and a wave of calm rushes over me. “Carter said you would need that.”

“Yeah,” I say out of breath.

My eyes gaze happily into Xander’s. They are perfection with their crystalline blue-green color. My fingers trail his jaw line and his grasp on my wrist tightens. His small intake of breath is in accordance with mine. We want this so badly to happen. The sunset, the crisp breeze making my skin prickle. Here and now, I want to make the biggest mistake of my life by placing my lips on his. I want to feel his hands pull me closer at the waist, kissing with ferocity and passion. He pushes me into a tree pressing his upper body on mine. We’d have our minute; a moment of lust and love because for once, the whole world can suck it and let us enjoy the freedom and confinement of adolescence.

The worst thing is I can feel it inside of him too. There’s a need to embrace one another as only lovers do but we let go and take a step back. Looking at him takes my breath away yet Katie doesn’t deserve this. We nod to each other knowing we think the same thing. We are Katie’s best friends and we will never be that selfish.

“Tell me how your annoying Phoenix butt is still alive!”

Someone climbing up the hill behind us calls me out, ruining the moment. But the uncomfortable longing turns to relief. My grin widens as I see his beaming face. I run into Trevor’s outstretched arms practically plowing him over. Ryan, who climbed up with him, chuckles at the scene.

“You’re late,” I scold.

“Yeah, well my luck had me pulled over by a cop for speeding,” Trevor tells me flatly. “You’re paying for that ticket and for gas too.”

“Butthead.”

He squeezes me harder to his chest. When he lets me breathe though, we take a step toward the edge of the cliff where Xan waits calmly. Trevor eyes up my wardrobe and hold me back to explain. My cheeks redden for not wearing anything more than Carter’s shirt. I really should get some pants on.

“I heard what happened from Carter,” he starts. Trevor gestures to my outfit of choice and cocks one eyebrow. He’s having a hard time containing his laughter. “But this never came up. What the hell happened here?”

“My clothing was flammable,” I remark sarcastically. “Who knew?”

“Aw. And I wasn’t here to see that? Unfair,” he jokes.

“You don’t go for my gender anyways, remember?”

He heaves his shoulders up and down while Ryan does a double take. I guess Trevor doesn’t fear people finding out his preferences anymore. The corners of my lips have a hard time staying relaxed. I’m sure with all that’s happened, this isn’t too big of a deal for the Spencing boy. In fact, something in the air tells me that it makes him a little hopeful. With my intuition more settled in my system, I know exactly why Ryan was never going to be ‘that guy’. I laugh as the thought passes through my mind. No wonder.

“These are for you,” Ryan tells me, holding out a pair of basketball shorts. I thank him loudly before slipping them on. The guys all turn in respect but I know the real reason is two out of the three don’t like my parts and the other has a girlfriend. The hilarity of this day keeps getting better and better.