Chapter Nine - Strangers are Strange

Chapter Nine – Strangers are Strange

In an hour and a half almost all the guests have arrived and the Regal Haven is alive with the voices of everyone talking at once. There are about thirty grandly dressed people in total, some who’ve brought their significant others while some are just close friends of the group. I’m pretty sure everyone is a witch. Maybe there are a few um… humans? I think I am the only lone guest here but I’m never unaccompanied for long.

Most people have skipped past me and headed straight for the table full of delicious foods and pastries. I would have been right there with them. The only reason I wasn’t eating more was the hope I wouldn’t stain my borrowed dress. I’m kept busy anyway with the few who introduce themselves to me. I wish I could say I’m not enjoying myself but I find the corners of my mouth turning upwards and the shy hunch I always parade myself in is gone. A warm sensation is pumping through my heart at the feeling of being important.

“Thank you my dear friends,” the Emerald greets on the second floor above us. All heads turn to her and everyone becomes silent. She descends the stairs clicking her heels beneath her feet with every step. Her ivory gown clings to her movements and the ruching around her torso enhances her curves. There is a jade green sash along her hips in such an odd place but once she reaches the first floor I see how well it brings the dress together. “Thank you for attending the welcoming of Abigail Hendrix into our world. Enjoy the food, the drink. And please don’t forget to congratulate the soon-to-be newest member of our coven.”

My cheeks blush a deep red as everyone turns to me and applauds. To see their smiling faces is a very weird thing. I’m not used to any attention but it’s kind of, well, awesome.

People wander over to me during the entire evening but there is one particular person I am eager to meet; though I can’t say it matters much to her since she already introduced herself. Tammy stands in a dress very different from anyone else’s. It only goes down to her knee and cherries and skulls pattern its fabric. Her hair is half up-half down like mine but her lavender locks are curled to frame her face. I enjoy her look so much.

Her tattooed friend —who looks more than a little too friendly at her— remains by her side throughout the party. He’s dressed like Trevor is but with colors that match his date’s dress. Both of them chat to a third person in a simple black button up and matching pants. I’m pretty sure it’s Tammy’s brother. They have the same nose and freckles and even the same green-grey eyes. If they would have their hair styled right I’d think they’d be the same person. But there is still one big noticeable difference: Tammy’s brother is blind.

“Carter’s got a type of eye disease that he’s had since he was a kid,” Trevor whispers in my ear. I turn toward him about to ask him how he knew but he stops me before my lips can move. “You’re a lot easier to read than you realize. The tiara might block your mind to me but your thoughts are written all over your face.” He clears his throat before quick adding, “Also, it’s not polite to stare.”

I turn my back to the siblings and sneak to the snack table where I meet another bizarre man named Richard. Salt and pepper beard and a bald patch on the back of his head but the guy doesn’t look more than mid forties. As I talk to him I find he’s one of those older wise guys with an odd sense of humor. He keeps talking about his first few attempts at reading minds but what really interests me is he belongs to the coven I am to join.

“What’s it like,” I ask him finally fascinated. “I mean, what exactly do you do in a coven?”

“My dear girl, a coven isn’t much more than a club.” The way Richard says it disappoints me. I was hoping there’d be some sort of mystical power only my group would know. My hope does continue though as he quietly adds, “But this ‘club’ binds their powers so their individual power is much stronger.”