Chapter One - Bon-Bons at the Bonfire

Chapter One – Bon-Bons at the Bonfire

Sand sneaks into the crevices of my toes as my bare feet walk alongside the ocean. Waves lap my ankles shivering my skin from the sensation. A sigh of relief flows through my lips. I glance to the stars above watching them glisten in the sky. Scrunching my nose in a childish fashion, a burst of joy lightens my chest for finally getting out of the house. I couldn't stand another boring night pretending to study in my room.

I pass the pointed beach house that reminds me of an origami swan and hurry along. Tonight we have the shore to ourselves. It’s the first exclusive party I’ve been invited to, celebrating the end of the mandatory imprisonment nine months out of the year. It’s the official first day of summer and the start of a new me… hopefully.

To most, I’m the weirdo of the class. My reddish brown dreadlocks ward off the normal characters in my school along with my sterling silver decorated features. Snakebites, Medusa, Septum, Eyebrow; I’m also probably the only teenager with enough guts to get the upper half of my arm tattooed. What I find cute, others find odd. It’s probably why I had no idea this bonfire existed until a few hours ago. But I’m determined to become part of the normal class of students while keeping true to myself. Today will mark a new beginning I have long awaited.

Down the shore I spot the celebration. Beyond that are The Ledge, an infamous hangout cliff, and the woods that lead to it. While exploring the landscape with my eyes, my pocket buzzes. I reach into my distressed shorts and see a text from my best friend.

<3KatieBear: where u at?

A smile widens my lips. Instead of answering my Katie, I race down the beach. The crisp night air whips through my dreads and tickles my studded ears. I slow down as I reach the hordes of teens idly hang about swigging back one red solo cup after the next. I strain to see above everyone for the only girl to invite me. Finally, I spot her bouncy black pixie cut in the light of the fire.

Her back is to me as she talks to her boyfriend, Xander. He’s clothed in his usual leather jacket and spiky blonde hair. His stormy green eyes flick up as he plays with one of Katie’s short curls. I gag. It’s almost sickening how cute they can still be after two years of dating. Using their obliviousness against them, I sneak over with mischief influencing my thoughts.

“She’s not answering her phone,” Katie whines. “Scott probably saw her sneaking out.”

“She’ll be here, babe” Xan half sighs.

I roll my eyes. Of course she’s blaming my foster dad. Katie checks her phone one last time before stuffing it into her back pocket. Now is my chance. Running closer, my fingers grab her exposed sides and tickle mercilessly.

“Fuuuaahh,” she squeals, keeping her potty mouth cleaner than normal. Her hands slap at her sides and I almost fall back from laughing at her. Priceless. Katie turns to tell off the culprit who assaulted her but as soon as she sees my laughing face, she throws her arms around me and jumps up and down. “Ruiseñor, what the hell! Where’ve you been?”

“Stupid S-scott saw my first attempt,” I snicker at her. “Oh my god, your face. Ha!”

Katie slaps my arm before sticking her tongue out and fixing her outfit. I greet Xander with our usual fist bump and pull him in for a hug too.

“Always good to see you,” he welcomes.

“Always good to be here.”

I settle in and Katie gets me updated on the party I don’t care about. Vintage 40s bandanna and bright red lipstick, she is stunning like she is every day. Her Jack Daniel’s tee is knotted behind her to display a belly ring while cut shorts flaunt her long, naturally golden legs. Glancing around, I notice a few guys staring at her. Xander better watch out, the guy standing behind us is definitely thinking something naughty. I smirk and barely listen as her pouty lips continue.