Chapter Seven - No-Sleep Sleepover

Chapter Seven – No-Sleep Sleepover

Born of ancient gifts and Mystic blood. The words run over my thoughts like the repeating hum of an oscillating fan. I’m nothing more than the outcast of the school. There’s no one that would find me even remotely magical. And a Witch? Please, I’m can’t even microwave popcorn without burning it half the time.

My fingers graze over the stacks of plastic containers, each holding delicious cupcakes and sugar cookies drowned in sprinkles. I have about 20 more minutes to compose myself before heading home. That gives me enough time to finish my shopping and head to the makeup department to fix up my face. Not very hygienic but it’ll work for now. I pick a few cupcake boxes up and place them in my basket next to the $5 DVDs. There will be no horror movies tonight with what went on today. It’s a girl’s night anyway so Katie’s going to want to drool over action hero bodies or swoon for chick-flicks heartthrobs.

“Hey,” a feminine voice greets from behind. I turn around to find a chick I’ve never seen before, knowing I’d definitely remember if I did. I try to ignore her but she persists. “I just wanted to introduce myself,” she says. “The name’s Tammy.”

Tammy looks like she’s in her early twenties but it’s hard to tell with her makeup so neatly applied. I take note of her cute rockabilly style and compare it to how much of a mess I must look. Her build is curvy but petite under her polka dotted black dress and her stance is very sure of herself. Atop her head and wrapped into a bun is vibrant lilac hair. Very unique. I give a quick wave with my free hand.

“Hi,” I mutter timidly. “I’m Gail.”

Tammy’s face flashes like she knows something but it shows for less than a second. She covers herself by nodding and stepping around me in her scarlet ankle boots. I stand there not sure how to react.

“So you’re it? Not what I expected at all.”

I feel like I’m being insulted but I still have no idea what she means. That’s been happening a lot today. I step backward and walk in the opposite direction. This day keeps getting better and better. Tammy sighs but as I’m about to turn onto the bigger walkway, the strange girl calls after me. “Good luck with your Tempest.”

My head whips back to her. Tammy grins triumphantly and adjusts the skull studded purse on her right shoulder. My eyes scan the rest of the aisle. Seeing no one, I move closer.

“You’re part of that Coven, aren’t you?” She says nothing. I take a deep breath and exhale slowly. “Look, I don’t want anything to do with you. I just want to live a normal life so leave me alone.”

Our eyes lock. Tammy looks up and down my orange sundress with judging eyes. I think she’s trying to decide if I’m telling the truth. I stand on uneasy feet but keep my nerve. She takes it rather well. “I’ll be seeing you again,” she says plainly. Biting her lip, she juts her chin in my direction as a goodbye and strolls away. “I like the dreads.”

With that, the peculiar girl disappears down the aisle with her lilac bun bouncing behind her. I chalk it up to another one of the weird occurrences of today and stay rooted to the spot until the weight of the air feels lessened. This Witch business is already changing me and I don’t even want it. My weight shifts restlessly but I move on.

Continuing my shopping and moving to the back of the store, I find a long counter filled with ice and dead fish. Next to it is the deli for smoked meats and cheese. A large window stands between them where customers can see the workers cutting slices to sell. I catch my reflection staring back at me and reach my hand to the somber face. The curves under my eyes seem especially deep from crying earlier in the market’s bathroom. My lack of makeup makes me look sickly pale. I place my hand on my shoulder where the Emerald did earlier. My touch feels foreign now.