Chapter Twenty Five - Blood Red

Chapter Twenty Five – Blood Red

“Bring forth the chalices,” Ivette shouts over the chaotic cries of joy.

I take my Nymph sister’s stiff hand and watch as my friends are forced in front of us. Katie, Brenda, and Ryan kneel with shaking legs. Xan struggles to stay standing but is eventually forced down by Ivette’s overpowering strength. I turn forward, watching them fighting the ropes on their wrists and barely keeping their frightened tears at bay.

“Tonight, we take the blood of Spencing and Mystic lineage.”

Ivette pulls a knife from her right boot and walks to Brenda, the first in the line. The golden handle with bright red jewels glitters just below the sliver blade. Brenda screams into her gag, trying her hardest to get away. I run toward her but Lisa grabs me from behind.

“What are you doing? She can’t do this!”

“I’m not doing it,” Lisa defends. My eyes narrow at Steph. She holds her hand cautiously at us and watches our eldest sister. A familiar sensation starts to prickle the tips of my fingers. The warmth of my neck gets hotter as Ivette takes the blade and cuts into Brenda’s palm. Brenda’s blood is squeezed into one golden chalice and Ivette moves on.

The same thing happens to each of my Spencing friends; the skin of their palm is sliced open and their blood spilled into the cup. Xan, still being defiant, spits into the chalice as he tears his gag off.

“I hope you rot in hell,” he hisses.

“Your spit. More potency for you.” Ivette smiles, clearly not affected. My anger burns hotter. She can do whatever to me but I know now that I won’t anything more happen to them. This ceremony is going to be cut short. I struggle worse with Lisa’s immobile form and feel the Phoenix in me start to awaken.

Next, it is our turn. Ivette cuts into her hand as Susan holds a second chalice for her. Unlike normal blood, Ivette’s is grey. It seeps out like spoiled milk but the cup is handed quickly to Stephanie. She holds her scaly hand out and drains her blue gummy blood in. Ivette walks to me and Susan winks, ready to see my insides pour out again. Lisa lets go and I am left to stand on my own.

“Your hand. Unless you have a death wish, you will give it to me.”

Balling my fingers into fists, I declare war into her eyes. I feel the Phoenix Blessing spark up but I keep it back. All that matters is my choice.

“Never.”

Ivette blinks and gives a nod to Stephanie. Suddenly, I can’t breathe. My eyes widen as every one of my muscles twitch. My arm raises and Ivette takes the blade across my skin. Stephanie is much more powerful than I ever thought she’d be. Her eyes glow with her abilities but I see the tiniest bit of fatigue as blue drips from her nose. I try and force my arm away but nothing happens. Even screaming is impossible. Scarlet blood trickles down over the grey and blue mix, sizzling slightly.

“Gail,” Xan murmurs with lost hope. “What are you doing? Fight back!”

“She can’t,” Ivette whispers. Her cold lips kiss my cheek before taking a step toward Lisa. “You still have a human body and that means you retain water.”

Stephanie’s manipulation persists but I am allowed to breathe. I wheeze in terror while watching Lisa’s hand being forcefully held out too. Her palm oozes a thin green substance laced with yellow. It looks more like oil than bodily fluid.

“And the blood is paid,” Susan shouts to the waiting Demons and Witches.

They cheer. Tammy jumps into Marco’s arms. Their disturbing love is enough to make me shudder. Carter is the only one standing still. He keeps his hands secured tightly to his red and white cane. For a second, his head glances up and even though he cannot see me, his eyes find my face.