Chapter Fifteen - Phoenix Blessed

Chapter Fifteen – Phoenix Blessed

It’s been an hour since we left Trevor’s sister. I’m still not sure how that works unless Trevor is part merman himself and I wouldn’t know how to digest that. Marco resumes his role as driver and the rest of us stay in the back muttering things every once in a while. All in all it’s a quiet and uncomfortable ride, even with Tammy’s good music choice thumping the speakers from the bass.

“You should take this,” the short girl says, filling some of the silence. She pulls a vial from her purse and tosses it to the back where Xan catches it gingerly. He shakes the pink liquid and we both examine the think that looks like Alice’s ‘Drink Me’ potion. “Once a demon has a hold on a Spencing’s scent, they can find them whenever and wherever.”

“What is it?” Xander uncorks the little glass bottle and sniffs. Apparently it doesn’t smell too good with the face he’s making.

“It’s Pulemp,” Trevor says flatly. He’s not in any mood to talk right now. Without his amber charm, his emotions are running amuck and I feel them sifting through the air. “It’ll change the way you naturally smell permanently. That way they can’t find you.”

“Any side effects,” Xan asks jokingly. He puts the bottle to his lips but pauses as Trevor nods.

“It will change you,” he tells us. “Mostly you’ll be the same but the way you react to things will be a bit different. But to be on the safe side, you’ll probably want to change your deodorant or cologne. Less chance of being found that way.”

“Shall I change it to something a little more fruity like yours?”

I smack Xander on the back of the head as a wave of anger emanates from Trevor. My best friend might not even know of his gender preferences but that is still never okay to say in my book. Xan looks to me with a goofy smile from his joke but I glare back. He quietly asks what the slap was for making me raise my eyebrows and signaling to the boy in the seat in front of us. He doesn’t get it so I just give up on the matter. Guys can be so stupid.

“Hang on a sec, different how?” I glance back and forth at the two boys. Trevor’s face is starting to be a little intimidating but Xan’s lack of care hits him right back. He doesn’t say anything but I know my best friend. He’ll worry about everyone else’s safety before his and if the demon’s can find him, Katie and his mom would be in danger.

Trevor mutters as Xander’s about to take a sip, “Maybe you won’t be as much of an asshole.”

That ends conversation fast. Xan takes the stuff anyway, glaring at the witch guy. He downs the liquid like a shot and grimaces at the taste. I’m left to stare out the window confused and hoping this day doesn’t get too much worse. Xander does the same and soon the music is again the only source of noise.

Reaching the Regal Haven doesn’t take too much longer. We march the grand staircase and Tammy lets us in with her key. Why does she have a key to the house?

“Let’s go,” Trevor orders us. I make a face at the command but enter. The Emerald is waiting fretfully on the stairs and rushes to our side.

“Tell me everything.”

And we do exactly that. The Emerald is filled in on the whole thing from the demons stealing me from my backyard to the Priya saving my life. Trevor finishes his part of the tale by looking at me and my bloodstained tshirt. Fiona won’t even glance in my direction. My feelings are building inside and that’s not good. We’ve been arguing for a while but nothing I say sways her mind.

“It is not the time to talk about this,” the Emerald tries to explain calmly. But I am anything but calm. Things are after me, trying to kill me or not kill me and use me all for a reason I don’t know.