Chapter Sixteen - The Prophecy's Inception

Chapter Sixteen – The Prophecy’s Inception

“That’s… no.”

I wish I could say a million things were running through my mind but the truth is I’m blank. Nothing in my head is working. It’s not possible. I didn't burn alive and I seriously can’t be part of a prophecy to end the humanity. I grab at the back of my neck which feels like it’s on fire. Why is this happening to me?

“Abigail,” the Emerald tries to comfort me. “This is why I have not said anything. I could not bear the sight of this.”

“We were going to train you first,” Trevor adds. “Teach you the good and noble way.”

“After everything you have gone through,” The Emerald trails her words off. She’s finally close enough to me to touch my shoulder. “I can show you everything if you wish. But please believe when I say it will be an arduous and distressing lifetime, one that Jeremy had suppressed for you all those years ago.”

That caught my attention. Jeremy was my father’s name. How was he a part of this? Fiona tenderly rubs my shoulder and kneels down to look intently at me. Her pale green eyes trail with her hand as she brushes a dreadlock for my face. It is only now where I can see the slight resemblance of Tammy. They have the same eyes, the same strength in them.

“If you want to know your truth, you need only ask,” she tells me.

Weighing all the options, the decision is quickly made up. My stare dances around the room from one person to the next, each of them wearing a wary expression. The spotlight never did well on me and now makes no exception. I let go my hand from Xander’s and collect both of the Emerald’s in mine.

“Show me.”

The four of us leave the second library and all the dark emotions behind. Fiona goes to retrieve the amber tiara from her room down the opposite end of the hallway; the same tiara she lent to me at the party. Our footsteps follow hers but we are told to wait outside since she’d only be a moment. We nod but even as she’s out of sight I can’t help my head from bouncing, not knowing what else I can do. I force back the spilling emotions from my eyes and remind myself of my personal rule. Never let anyone see me cry. Emotions are a weakness.

Right now that rule isn't holding up so well.

“I take it that she has told you?”

Xander, Trevor and I turn around suddenly to find Carter standing there in the doorway I guess is to his room. His pale eyes look past me, the same eyes of his sister and mother. Even though he’s at least six years older than me and his towering height makes him seem more intimidating, Carter smiles caringly. I wish I could simply nod or wave to him hello but I know he wouldn't see it. My heart breaks at another thing I am unable to control. Damn emotions!

“We’re going to see her past,” Trevor explains to him. Carter nods again. He takes the door to his bedroom and closes it.

“That is my cue to join the ranks.” He holds his hand out for what I think is a high-five but when our hands touch, he interlaces our fingers. His freckled cheeks make room for his smile. I’m feeling a little better but nothing is taking the fear of knowing my past truly away.

Fiona returns from her bedroom with the tiara in hand and sighs. They both know the time to tell me whatever it is has come. To be honest, I’m not ready. But I let them lead me away and numbly follow the sound of Carter’s fingers tracing the walls.

“A past-life reading,” the Emerald tells me. We make our way to her office as she prepares me for what’s ahead. “It will be painful, do you understand? This is reaching past a barrier that has shielded your memories for more than half of your life. It will unlock a very dark and troubled past far worse than that which you have suffered earlier on the shore. Regaining fresh memories is a pinprick compared to these. They will feel very real. This will be you dying all over again.”