Chapter Twenty Two - To Act Differently

Chapter Twenty Two – To Act Differently

“Xander,” I call as I jog back into the scene. Just as I round the corner, he’s ripping his black Avenged Sevenfold tshirt off and exposes his muscled chest and back. There are still a few remnants of bruising from our clash with the demons and a few new ones from his kick-boxing classes but that only makes him look better. I lose my train of thought as I eye him up. This is so wrong.

“You know, I was thinking of getting a tattoo,” Xander says, talking to Michelle who uses her tosses her wet hair around like the kid she is. “Maybe a dragon on my shoulder.”

I gape at him like he’s grown a third head. “You? Your mom would flip! Plus, you’re not old enough to get it without a parent’s permission.”

“How’d you get all yours?”

Michelle laughed at Xander knowing he totally underestimates my sneakiness. I chuckle along with her. “I throw a ‘permission slip’ in front of a drunken foster parent. Easy.”

“But you got the ankle thing here when I knew you,” Xan tries again.

“Scott’s not sober all the time.” I laugh remembering how nervous I was to try getting Scott to sign the slip. I told him it was a fieldtrip and he, wanting me to leave him in peace, made it that much easier. “It was football season and he wanted the TV to himself.”

Xan laughs goofily and Michelle and I join in. But as soon as I remember who’s out front, I look dejectedly to my feet. Why does it feel like I’m a bad friend? I’m not flirting with Xander and he isn’t flirting with me. We’re hanging out as best friends like we did before everything happened.

“I, uh,” I try to form words. “Katie…”

Xan looks back at me but continues to play in the pool next to Michelle. “What about her?”

“She’s,” I say before clearing my throat to get my head to focus. “She’s here. Like, right now.”

Xander’s eyes go wide. He just dipped his head back in the water so now there’d be no way of convincing his girlfriend we weren’t swimming together. Again, knowing my sister is there wouldn’t help. Katie gets way too jealous for her own good.

“But I don’t want to get out,” he moans. Michelle splashes him with a bit of water and covers her face for retaliation.

“You whine as much as Gail does,” she giggles at him. As they play fight and Xan gets out, I think about what she said. He has been acting different lately. Instead of his cool, smooth self, he’s been awkward and confusing yet happier. I would never have guessed finding about the witchy world would make anyone feel cheery. I stop as I grab the towel for him and throw it over. It might also be the Pulemp. Trevor did say he would act different.

“Time to face the music,” Xan says regretfully.

“We’re not doing anything wrong,” I stand up for us, reiterating what I’ve been saying in my head. His eyebrows crinkle into his forehead. “Yeah I know. It’s Katie. ‘Try telling her that,’” I say in my generic man voice.

He snickers at my comment and we take the path to the side of my house. Each step makes me more anxious but as soon as I see Katie’s still smiling face, I relax a bit.

“Ruiseñor,” she says, not even differing in mood from seeing Xander walking with me. Her studded jean shorts ride up a little as she walks over. “I’m inviting you on an adventure. My cousin is having a party and I’m bringing you as an apology. Because I really am sorry.”

Normally, I would go all girly moment and run to my best friend with giggles and weird happy dancing. But there’s something I can’t place my finger on. I still walk over and give her a hug. Off or not, she’s got my forgiveness.