Chapter Nineteen - Five Witches, One Spencing

Chapter Nineteen – Five Witches, One Spencing

Bloody murder screams and so much pain. I don’t realize I’m shrieking with him until the one nurse bumps into me and wavers my voice. It takes a while for the doctors to calm Xan down. All the while, my best friend shouts things that make me tremble. The medical staff has to force his hands away from clutching his hair painfully. I back away and huddle by the chair as they try and sedate him.

“The Phoenix blessing,” Xan shouts through gritted teeth. “Gahh! I have the memories that aren’t mine. Why do I remember? It’s not my power. Let me go!”

It’s such a terrifying image to see. Xander is having a fit of who-knows-what and it’s entirely my fault. His suffering was brought on by my stupidity.

Gradually, Xan falls silent from the sedative and his hand lies limp over the edge of the bed railing. The nurses shift his form back into a comfortable position and mumble to themselves. It gives me enough time to collect my things and run from the room. I hastily search for my bracelet which fell to the bottom of my bag and strap it on. Sending my foster dad another text about finding a ride, I leave the hospital. The Emerald needs to know Xander is awake and I need to know why.

“Trevor,” I shout into the phone as he picks up with a baffled ‘hello’. “Get back here now. No, it can’t wait. I’ll be waiting where you dropped me off.”

Without letting him get a word in, I hang up my phone and pace the concrete sidewalk. Right now would be a great time to take the edge off with a cigarette but of course Scott had to take them and I haven’t gotten around to replacing them. My hands jitter but when I see Trevor rolling back toward me grumpily, I readjust my messenger bag and go to the car door.

“The Emerald should really join the 21st century,” I tell Trevor as I step up and get in. Feeling it’s something big, the guy puts the van in drive and we cruise back to the Regal Haven again. Fiona doesn’t have a phone and that puts a damper on good communication, especially something this important.

“No kidding,” he jokes back. “But why couldn’t this have waited until tomorrow? Did something happen? You okay?”

I shake my head not sure if I should tell him yet. I want to have all of us together before I spill but this is kind of important. Chewing on the inside of my mouth gives me an excuse not to answer but Trevor’s silence is persistent.

“Fine,” I yell frustratingly. The next part of my answer isn’t so loud. I mumble very quietly, “I kissed Xander and he woke up. And then he started talking—”

“Huh?”

I glare at Trevor but I don’t think he actually heard me. Cringing into a small ball on the passenger seat, I close my eyes and exhale. “I- I kissed Xan and he woke up. But then he went on about—”

“What?!”

Yeah that time he definitely heard me. Trevor slams on the breaks which jerks me painfully under my seatbelt and gets a few honks from other vehicles driving behind us. I fix myself on the seat before slapping his arm hard and asking, “Are you trying to kill us? Damn.”

“Sorry, I just,” he starts out. Shaking his head, he steps on the gas again. “I just thought he had a girlfriend who was your best friend.”

“Screw you.”

There is a long period of silence. It seems every conversation in a car with me lately has ended like this. I turn the radio on and after listening to every car dealership shouting how their lot is the cheapest, a few good songs play. Trevor gets less shocked in time and after fifteen more minutes we’re pulling down the long driveway of the Haven.