Chapter Six - Emerald and Amber

Chapter Six – Emerald and Amber

All of my words escape me as she utters my name. The older woman feels too lovely for someone like me to speak to. I nod my head quickly as a reply, not wanting to be impolite. The Emerald ushers me closer but my legs are so numb from the spectacle of everything that Trevor needs to place his palm on my lower back to compel me forward. The Emerald laughs lightly but I’ve never been more intimidated in my life.

“So you are the unaligned one that has been roaming our Coven’s territory,” she states calmly. Even her voice is willowy and light. The Emerald extends her arm and I’m passed off from Trevor. She guides me up the stairs next to her with a single hand and a gentle smile. “You are uncommonly powerful, dear. Such extraordinary talent.”

The Emerald’s delicate fingers caress my cheek while her dilated pupils intently fix onto mine. Suddenly, my thoughts empty. It’s not like me to be so calm around people I find superior in every way, especially if it’s a stranger much older than me. Somehow I feel safer here. Her soft mint-green eyes enchant me to the point of silence and a lull of composure slips through my mind. I can’t remember why I was so freaked out before. After all, death is inevitable.

“Come,” she says abruptly, making me open my eyes. “There is much we need to discuss.”

We climb the marble stairs to the second floor, heading for a more serene environment. Each step leaves me less troubled. I inhale deeply and fill my lungs with a floral perfume. Trevor, who trails behind us, answers my unspoken question.

“It’s lavender,” he informs me. “We use a lot of natural methods here, more than most places.”

I breathe in the scent as it becomes more prominent. The last wave of tension leaves my body as we reach the second floor and turn to the left. A grand room stands before me where the lavender’s aroma is strongest. I cast a curious glance in the Emerald’s direction but I’m left speechless again by the room’s décor. Is there no end to the wonder of this estate?

“This is the Tranquility room,” the Emerald whispers. Her voice is like a melody, blending in with oasis’s natural symphony of crickets and the chirping of birds. I spot one of them dashing out of the corner of my eye but as soon as I turn to see it, it’s gone. “Lavender helps to purify the body and spirit,” she continues. “It’s infused with other organic ingredients which will calm your nerves, making this room the ideal place to explain.”

I’m guided through the large windowless room, staring like a child. The ceiling is more than twice my height and covered with simple yards of beige silk. Curtains hang to block the sharp corners of the house and small candles cover as many surfaces as they can fit. Their wax has melted over their stands meaning they’ve been burning for quite some time. A koi pond lies in the center of the room which we carefully step around. Orange and black speckled fish graze the surface of the water but otherwise the pond appears bottomless. I spot another of the finches I keep hearing but before my eyes, it disappears into the plants again.

Trevor leads me to sit on one of the wicker settees with the most comfortable cushions I’ve ever felt. The Emerald is seated opposite us on what seems to be a throne rather than a chair. Her ankles cross and her hands grace her lap. I straighten my back, wanting to keep proper in front of her. She smiles at my gesture before starting our much anticipated conversation.

“We have long felt the presence of your spirit,” she begins. “It’s been growing stronger each year, baffling us as to whom it actually belonged to. None of us would have ever guessed you were so young. In most cases, we can’t feel a presence unless they’ve already entered their Tempest. You can imagine our surprise to find you.”