Chapter 35

~ Quinn's p.o.v ~

It was about 3 in the morning when my mom came into my room. When she turned on the lights in my room it woke me up. Being my tired self I thought it was later in the morning and I was late for school.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up, looking up at her. Her eyes were red and puffy. She was sniffling. Joey was standing at the doorway, leaning against the wall. His eyes were red and puffy also. I pulled the blanket off of myself and got out of bed.

She didn't even have to tell me. I knew exactly what it was. I hugged her as tears swelled up in my eyes. This is the tightest she has ever hugged me. I could feel she was breaking by the way she was holding me. I could hear her soft cries.

Joey was staring at the floor with his arms crossed. Tears were rolling down his cheeks.

After a few more seconds I break the hug from my mom.

I walk over to Joey and look at him. He looks at me. I could tell how much he was breaking.

I hugged him tightly. I hear him let out a few cries and hug me back.

*

A few days have passed. My mom was throwing a memorial at our house for my dad just to get together and have a good time and remember the good times.

Our whole family was here, including Joeys baseball team. Dad used to coach the team before he had lung cancer and he was really close with the boys.

"I'm sorry this happened to you Quinn"
Colby told me.
"Thank you Colby. And thank you for showing up it means a lot to us"
I told him.
"He was a good man. He really coached us well and led us in the right direction. If it weren't for him we wouldn't be where we are"
I smiled small and nodded.

I hear the doorbell ring.
"Sorry, I have to take the door. It's probably more of my family but Joeys outside in the back with the boys if you'd want to be with him"
I backed away from him to answer the door.

He nodded and began walking to the kitchen.

I opened the door. Weston was standing there. He was dressed up quite nice than he usually dresses. Not like a Tux or anything. A plain, blue t-shirt with jeans, and of course his baseball cap. He had flowers in his hands.

I scoffed and felt tears swell up in my eyes.

I've always avoided telling him about my dad. I didn't want him to feel bad for me. I didn't want him to know how sad I've been and how much it's affected me.

"Weston I..."
My voice trailed off.
"You don't need to explain"
He hugged me. I blinked my tears away, trying to not cry in front of him.

He breaks away from the hug and holds out the flowers.

"You didn't have too"
"I didn't want to look like a douche and come empty handed"
He shrugged his shoulders. I laughed slightly and opened the door more, letting him enter inside.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you about this, I just didn't want to talk to you about-"
"You don't have to explain yourself. It's okay"
He said calmly.

"Whose this fine boy?"
My mother comes up from behind him and looks at him.

"This is my boyfriend...Weston"
I told her. She gives me a confused look.
"Nice to meet you Mrs Jones"
He holds out his hand. She shakes his hand.

"Look, I'm so sorry for your families loss. I can't imagine how you guys are feeling"
He calmly said.
"Thank you Weston. I'm sure it means a lot to Quinn that you're here right now, supporting her"
"Anything for your daughter. I love her more than anything and I'd do anything to make her be happy"
He told her.

She smiled at him.

"Wow...I wish I could talk to you more but I have to greet some family. Please help yourself, make yourself at home. I'm sure Quinn will show you around"
"Oh she will"
He smirked at me.

My mother walks away to greet my aunt and uncle.

"Okay- why are you so polite to my mom but so cocky to me?"
"It's called making first good impressions, Quinn"
He chuckled.

I rolled my eyes at his response.

*

"This is your dad?"
Weston was looking at the family pictures on the wall in the living room.

He was pointing at a picture of my dad when he was in his twenties. The picture was taken just a few months after my parents got married.

"Yeah"
I smiled small and set my drink down on the coffee table.

"You look a lot like him"
"Yeah...I get that a lot"
"I was wondering where you got your looks from. No homo"
I laugh slightly at his comment.

He looks at another picture on the wall. The picture he was looking at was me at one of my middle school softball games and my dad being there.

"Did he coach you?"
"Yeah. Elementary and Middle school he coached my softball team. Joey started getting jealous around seventh grade so my dad started coaching his team"
I explained. He scoffed.

"Okay but if I knew you in middle school- I would probably bully you"
"What?"
"I mean...the glasses...braces"
"Shut up"
I giggled.

"I'm kidding. The only reason I'd bully you is because I'd want you"