ten: three grooms walk into a reception...

It was another boy. 

Born on a gurney in a conference room at the county courthouse. She was so outraged that it was a boy that she screamed louder than when she'd given birth.

"It was just tucked..."

"Don't EVEN, Jacob Scott, Junior!! You promised me a daughter. You SAID it was a daughter!! What kind of freaky doctor are you?! I have a dresser full of itty bitty dresses!!"

Marco looked smug but Maggie crinkled up her face as she rocked Peetie on her hip. "Oh, she's right. We need some estrogen in this family."

"I gave you a temporary boost today."

"But that's just cancelled out with Levi."

"Don't look at me," Laurie laughed, holding her hands up. 

"When do you get Levi, dear?" Grandma Mary asked.

"Tomorrow morning," Jeb breathed. 

"Oh, so we will get to meet him."

"Won't that be overwhelming?" Maggie bit her lip.

Shay walked up. Trip, Queenie and Jay's eldest, was asleep in his arms. "One of y'all gotta take him," he demanded. "I'm out."

Jeb stepped forward and gently moved Trip onto his shoulder. "Thanks, man. This was above and beyond. We're at LaceyBelle's tonight. I'm buying."

"See you there," Shay nodded and grabbed his briefcase. 

Jeb looked so damn good in that moment, with his tie over his shoulder and Trip in his arms and his boutonniere slightly askew. I pulled out my phone and took a picture.

The EMTs rolled out Queenie with Jay closely following. "University Hospital," he said, tossing his keys to Jeb. Jeb caught them one-handed without disturbing Trip. The guy had skills.

Jeb drove my Kia again with Laurie taking the passenger seat. Maggie and her grandmother were following us in Jay's SUV with Trip in his car seat. Everyone else scattered. 

"OK so you're...Jeb's younger sister?" I valiantly attempted conversation.

"Mmmm hmmm," Laurie didn't look up. 

"And Maggie is the oldest?"

"Nope."

I waited for her to elaborate.

She didn't.

Awkward

Jeb dove in. "Uh, so my dad had Jay first and my mom had Maggie first and then they got married. My dad was long gone so I became a Scott and then Laurie was born."

"Can I get a flowchart?"

"I'm sure Maggie is making you one right now," Laurie laughed at her own joke. 

"So, who is Grandma Mary?"

"Oh, that would actually take some explaining," Jeb exhaled. "She's a nice lady who's kind of been a fairy godmother to us all."

"Where do you find one of those?"

"You just married into one of those," Laurie reminded me.

"Right. Moving on....so Jay stole Queenie? From his best friend?"

"Uhhhhhhh...I wouldn't say that in front of her. You will get a serious lecture about paternalistic societies and women having their own agency."

"Amen," Laurie agreed.