sixteen; inevitability

+ + +Tobias 6: 25PM+ + + 

Breathing heavily, we both slowly detach, although our hands still remain in their previous positions—mine around her waist, hers cupping the back of my neck.

I can basically feel my eyes bulging out of my head right now, but could you blame me?

She. . .kissed me.

My name tumbles out of her lips so quietly that I barely notice it. Tris looks up at me with grey eyes so fiery that I can feel the smoke rising out of her irises.

I can feel my heart beating rapidly against my ribs, fingers tingling.

"W-Why did you do that?" I ask breathily.

She's a masterpiece in every possible way. I adore how our bodies, drenched in paint, stick against each other. How my hand seemingly fits perfectly into the dip of her waist. Sun-kissed golden hair that continuously brushes my cheek with every kiss.

Biting her lower lip, Tris averts her eyes from mine and stares at my collarbone. "I-I don't, um, I don't know."

Oh. I was hoping she would say that she has come to the conclusion that she wants to be with me as much as I want her.

Desperately trying to hide my disappointment, I slowly unravel my arms from her.

They feel bare without her body against them.

"Oh," I stutter uncomfortable, like there an unbearable itch all over my body. "O-Okay..." My voice trails off into an infinite depth of silence.

As I bite my eyes into the carpet, not daring to make eye contact with her, I can't seem to stop replaying that infinitely quick moment.

Rather than absorbing it, I spent the entire kiss rushing—wanting to know how far it would go before either one of us pulled away.

Yet, I still manage to grasp onto the feeling of her lips. Delicately soft yet having the ability to retain so much strength.

The vanilla bean cookies we were earlier still retaining her breath. I, on one hand, had absolutely no idea how to kiss. My hands were shaking so much that I didn't know what to do with them.

Tris, on the other, was holding onto me as if I would slip away at any given moment. Her pale complexion was filled with determination, cheeks flushed with such a deep red.

God, everything about that kiss was perfect. I wish I could just savour the moment for a bit longer, just wring every last bit out of it.

Although, I don't get to do so the second that Tris take a step towards me with lips pulled into a frown. Even now, her cheeks are beaming, lips looking slightly larger than what they were a few minutes ago.

Maybe we kissed for seconds, maybe for hours. I don't care. Just that I want to do it all again.

I feel like such a fucking moron. For thinking that one kiss would mean that she's ready to be in a relationship with me.

"Tobias," she whispers. "T-That and out wrong—"

"It's okay," I reply almost a millisecond later. Right now, I just want to speed out of the house and drive for hours to whatever destination my minds takes me.

Shaking her head, I watch as her blonde locks cradle her face. Temptation runs throughout my body as I try not to reach out and tuck the strands behind her ear.

Tears glaze her eyes, but before I can say anything, Tris blinks them away so rapidly that I don't know if I was just imagining them.

"I want to be with you, Tobias." Her voice is so soft and hushed, yet so firm. Firm enough for me to hear every single syllable in that sentence.