six; banter

T o b i a s  
2: 19 PM

+ + + 

"Not a big deal, it's not that packed. I can find a parking spot." 

My eyes gaze over the extended parking lot to the building, which is completely packed with vehicles and motorcycles. Although the yard has signs indicating that it's for staff members only, people park their cars and stroll off towards the shopping complex across the street. 

"You can drop me off in front of the entrance," Tris states while smiling faintly, her eyebrows rising up in amusement that I believe that I can find a place to park. I roll my eyes, watching her exhale sharply while averting her attention to her phone. 

I look at the digital clock engraved at the side of the dashboard, shaking my head, "you're not late, Tris. You still have five minutes." 

"It takes me five minutes to get into the building!" She exclaims with wide eyes, and I can't help but laugh as I watch her try to contain the smile which is determined to spread across her face. Beginning to drive off towards the entrance, I constantly flicker my eyes towards her, watching as the afternoon sun casts a beam of light onto her cheeks, hazel reflecting into her long hair. 

She's really beautiful. . . 

Releasing a sigh, Tris bites her lip before turning her head towards me, a smile breaking out. Although, it was not initially the reconciliation that I was expecting, but just the fact that I managed to learn even one new thing about her brings a warm, sunny feeling to erupt within me. 

"How old are you, anyways?" I question suddenly, causing her to look at me like I'm half delirious. Tris tucks a strand of blond hair behind her ears, her fingers tightening around each other, her fingers so slim that I can barely fathom it. 

"I'm twenty-six, what about you?" 

"Twenty-eight." 

Silence passes in between us as time ticks off. The sign in front of us declares you can only stay in the idol zone for five minutes, and I have a feeling it might have been more than five minutes since I pulled into the entrance. 

"Okay, well," She blurts out, her eyes jumping everywhere, "thank you, again. But I really gotta go." 

I nod, unable to come up with anything to say except, "so I'll see you Saturday?" 

Her eyebrows quirk up in confusion, my head suddenly spinning. A small laugh escapes her lips before she shakes her head. I feel my hands grip the steering wheel tightly, straining to not leap out of the car.

"Excuse me?" 

Trying to not show how much I regret saying that, I shrug, "for painting, remember?" 

Her lips tilt upwards, obviously masking how much pressure and panic is consuming her from her meeting. "Right. Painting. Saturday. My place." 

"So-uh," I stammer, scratching the back of my neck as blood rushes to my cheeks, "what's your address?" 

Pushing the door open, Tris peers her head outside, slinging her purse over her shoulders and for a moment I think she's ignoring me. Shutting my eyes, I lean my head against the steering wheel and try not to scream. Did I seriously just do that? For fuck's sa--

"Eighty-nine Crestwood Drive," Her voice chirps, just as the door closes. 

Score. 

A smile rises onto my lips, my face suddenly beaming.