two; encounters

dedicated to my face dick squad :)

+ + +
ik i said this would be my last divergent fanfic, and it is. but im thinkingggg. i have a shailene and theo fanfiction i would love to publish soon to finish everything off, before i completely join the teen wolf fandom. enjoy :)
T r i s
4:18 PM

+ + +

I look up and seem to paralyze in fear. Evelyn stands in front of me with clasped hands, gesturing to the empty seat beside me. A breath gets hitched in my throat until I realize I better open my mouth and seem professional, or Evelyn might mistake me for somebody who doesn't take their job seriously.

"No, but if there are more people coming to sit beside you then I can move," I reply with a forced smile on my face, feeling a glow appearing on my face as she sits beside me.

I fold my hands in my lap and quickly release the material woven between my fingers, my legs forcing themselves to shake unsteadily but I use every damn muscle in my thighs to keep them from shaking.

Evelyn laughs while setting the napkin on her lap, shaking her head as blond curls from her fly into my face. "Just my son, but he can sit on the other side of you."

I feel my face grow hot. Two rich people sitting beside me, watching me eat, socializing with me. . .

"Mrs. Eaton," I begin, suddenly tensing up as I realize that I have no idea what the hell to say now. "I'm Tris Prior, the account director."

She doesn't care, I mean she's a CEO and here I am probably sounding like being an account director is one of the most import—

"Yeah, I've seen you before, haven't I? At meetings and all. You know, a few months ago, that pitch your client, Albert, presented to me was quite moving," She gleams while smiling widely.

It's like stone drops in my stomach as I let her words sink in. She knows who I am, she likes one of my presentations?

"Thank you, Mrs." As soon as that sentence comes out of my mouth, I see a man appear behind Evelyn and he bites the edge of his lip while placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Where do I sit?" He asks, his voice surprisingly calm considering the fact that he's at a banquet with many people. But then again, he probably is a rich person.

I feel my body getting up to shift over to the next seat, allowing him to sit beside Evelyn.

"You can sit here, I'll just move down," I murmur while biting the inside of my cheek, my eyes fixed on the floor as my cheeks blatantly burn up.

If I said that he wasn't attractive then I would be lying to myself; he definitely is hot enough to be a rich person.

I glance up at him and note how while he's looking at Evelyn, I have full access to his side profile. Although I lower my eyes after a few seconds, I strictly have a full vision to his jawline and how his disheveled his hair is and although he isn't wearing a blazer, the muscles in his arms stand out.

"It's okay," I force myself to look up as he talks to me. I'm met with blue eyes, dark ones that make my hands feel like they're sweating again. "I really don't want to sit next to Evelyn."

My eyes widen in pure horror at his words, and I freeze up. How could he say that to her face? About the CEO?

I look at Evelyn and see her looking in her lap, pursing her lips tightly while shutting her eyes, the lighting beam above us casting a shine across her cheeks.

I never thought my first conversation with Evelyn Eaton would be this awkward, and I never thought that I would once again catch myself into a confusing and tense scenario.

Whoever this man is, no matter how hot, should definitely not talk about a CEO like that.

"Are you sure, beca—"

"Please."

There's a certain desperation in his voice makes me move to sit beside Evelyn and, by the way, her lips tighten I can tell that she no longer wants to sit beside me, meaning that I just blew my chance to talk to her.

The man sits beside me and I find myself trapped in between the two of them, and the tension that reflects off them bounces onto me very quickly.

"Tobias," Evelyn begins while clearing her throat, tilting her head upwards at the ceiling. "Nice to see you again."

Tobias, his name is Tobias.

"Don't act like you care about my being, mother," He reprimands while shaking his head, reaching out to take a sip of water out of the glass cups. T-This is Evelyn's son? Son?

I've never seen him in my entire life which means that he doesn't work for Inquisitive Illustrations because I would definitely have seen him before is he does.

But at the same time, I've seen all the members of Evelyn's family before at previous meetings or banquets. So I don't understand how I have never seen Tobias before.

"I-I can sit somewhere else if it makes you uncomfortable," I say while looking straight at the ceramic plate, talking to both of them. Tobias shakes his head while biting his lip, staring at the cup in front of him as to avoid any eye contact with Evelyn.

"That won't be necessary. But if you're uncomfortable, feel free to move. I wouldn't blame you," He mumbles in response.

I can feel my palms sweating more than before and it takes everything inside of me not to begin rubbing them against my skirt once more.

The temptation to get up is like a burning sensation, but if I do move then what will Evelyn, a damn CEO, think of me? Irritable, disrespectful, has no temperance?

Maybe, just maybe, if I wish hard enough, then I can just disappear out of this room. Besides, I do have mountains of paperwork and emails to finish within a short deadline. If I missed one banquet I don't think it would be that much of a big deal.

Not even considering how much my hands are shaking, I lift up my cup of water and bring it to my mouth, realizing that my lips are trembling as well.

I can feel the water in my mouth but it seems like nothing I do is going to make me able to swallow the water.

It's like everything happens too quickly. I gasp loudly, reaching for the cup with my numb fingers as it begins to fall out of my hands, but it isn't quick enough.

Evelyn shrieks loudly, gaining the attention of some of the people in the venue as a puddle of water lands on her dress.

My hands involuntarily move to my mouth, covering it up as if nobody would hear me if I screamed. I just dropped water on a CEO.

Tobias laughs beside me, biting his lip hard to contain minutes worth of laughter. I feel my hands curl into fists as I turn towards Evelyn, opening my mouth to try and get an apology out.

But then she jerks up from her seat and rushes off towards the nearest bathroom.

"I'm so–"

But she's already gone.

And I'm left with more than a dozen pairs of eyes on me.