one; anxiety

Dedicated to radicalshailene dauntlesscheese -voidallison Depecher

+ + +
T r i s
3:29 PM
+ + + +

"Good afternoon, Miss. Prior," Uriah greets while escorting me through the hallways. The blue pencil skirt I threw on feels rather uncomfortable, but I force my body to adapt to the feeling because I don't want to embarrass myself in front of Evelyn Eaton and Ezekial Pedrad.

I pass him a tight smile while we pass the glass structures that build up City Hall, the several closed doors making a knot in my stomach tighten.

Many of my executive workers as well as many other important people in the advertising business will be at this banquet, and I for one, do not want to give off a bad impression.

Looking behind my shoulder, I see William and his fiancée, Christina, arrive. Besides the big managers, I basically have met everybody involved with this company before. It's not anything new to me, yet I still feel like I might throw up.

We arrive in front of a large black door, with gold embroidery around the perimeter. Placing his hand on the knob, Uriah pushes it open with a lopsided smile.

"Enjoy, Miss," He murmurs while holding the door open for me. I turn to him and give him a smile in return, clasping my hands in front of my waist to make myself seem more sophisticated as if it will.

"I don't suppose that you'll be joining us for lunch, Uriah," I respond playfully while beginning to walk into the room, not even a mere footstep before anxiety consumes me.

He dazzles me a brief grin before winking and closing the door. Once he goes, I release a sigh of relief before spinning around.

My God. Rows of tables with white satin tablecloths line the middle of the room while a row of food rest in the corner as more chefs rush in and out carrying trays of food.

In the glimpse of all this, the only thing I can see is people. People, people and more people. Important people.

Biting the edge of my lip, I scan the room quickly to see if anybody I know is here. Talking to a man with dark curly hair, I see my secretary, Cara.

Her long brown hair is pinned up into a tight bun and as she laughs at something that the man says, her tight maroon dress lifts up.

"Hello," I greet while standing at the edge, not wanting to physically intrude their conversation.

Cara turns to me and laughs softly before pulling me for a hug, her hands squeezing at my back rather tightly, unlike usual.

"Hi, Tris," She replies before placing a hand in the man's thick blazer covered shoulder. "I'd like you to meet Robert. Susan's brother."

Susan is in charge of refreshments in the office, and although I don't see her often because I rarely get drinks, I have seen her enough to tell that this man clearly is her brother. The same high cheekbones and the short button nose, and the naturally curled black hair.

I extend a hand out, my watch pulling skin as it's tightly wrapped around my wrist. "Nice to meet you, I'm Tris Prior. Cara's boss."

Robert smiles before shaking my hand, and I almost cringe at how dry his hand is, but I know that it would be rather rude. "Robert. Susan has told me quite a lot about you," He says shakily.