Poker

I got on the Turbolift, but Wesley went to go to his quarters. I was alone with Commander Riker.

"I'm sorry that I yelled at you, I had no idea what you had been through," he said. He looked sorry too.

"It's okay. I still miss everything though. I used to play poker with my mom on Sundays. And Dad would play video games with my brother and I and-," I was interrupted by a sob. I fell to the ground of the Turbolift, the carpeted ground I had felt when I first got here. I cried harder. 

"You're okay," said Riker. "Do you want to play poker with me and the senior officers?" he asked.

"Will Data be there? I really wanted to get to know him better," I said.

"Of course, Data's the best dealer around." I smiled, I've watched Data deal many times, and it always fascinated me. He split the deck, moving it faster and faster until you couldn't see his robotic hands. He was an android, and the only one besides Lor. He shuffled and spun the cards then he threw them out of the deck, making them land perfectly in front of the officers.

We walked to the room and there was Worf, Beverly, and Data. Data was shuffling the cards and mimicking human facial expressions. I couldn't wait to see him when he got his emotion chip. That was cool. I still had the song stuck in my head. He sang it when Riker asked him to search for lifeforms.

Lifeforms

You tiny little lifeforms!

You precious little lifeforms!

Where are you?

I laughed as I remembered that. The crew looked at me curiously. I was such a nerd.

"Sit down Janie, I heard you play," said Beverly.

"I'm pretty good too," I said smiling.

"You have some competition, Commander Riker," said Worf in his pausing and deep voice. His Klingon forehead wrinkled in wonder. He stroked his beard and accepted the hand that Data had given him.

We all had been given a hand, and the game began. I looked at my cards and tried not to smile. I had a Four Of A Kind. Riker looked at Beverly, and she to Worf, and he to Data. All of them trying to read the other expressions on their faces. Riker tried to read me, but I know some tricks. All you have to do is clench your jaw, and the blank expression is yours.

We played like that until only Riker and I were left. He starred at me hard and I him. I tried to read his expression.

"All in," I said, pushing my chips in the middle. The 24th century didn't have currency, so I had nothing to lose. Except reputation, but I didn't have one yet.

Riker looked at me in surprise. "All in."

We starred at each other again, this time longer. He laid out his cards. He had a Full House. 

I smiled, and laid out my Four Of A Kind. Riker smirked and pushed the chips my way. I smiled again and accepted them. Everyone got up and we all left the room. Riker walked me to my room. For the first time, I realized how tall he was. Very tall.

We got into my quarters and I immediately went to the replicator.

"Pound cake," I said, and a pretty slice of golden cake with no frosting came into view. I ate it up gladly.

"What's that?" asked Riker.

"It's my favorite food," I said between mouthfuls. I went over and asked for another slice, then I gave it to Riker.

"This is good!" he said as he took a bite. I laughed as he ate it up faster than I did.

"Pound Cake was my name in track," I said, remembering being on the track and field team.

"Why?"

"'Cause I love pound cake!"

Riker laughed and walked out of my quarters, bidding me goodnight. I went over to the bed, which was harder than mine at home. The blanket was thin, but I turned up the temperature. 

It was a good day.