Girls vs. Boys (20) - But This Wouldn't be the Last

Start from the beginning

“We’re technically not,” I snapped, sitting up in my bed now and throwing the covers off of me. “We don’t go to the Cambridge Institute for Boys. We are not boys. We’re girls, which means we go to the Adeline Academy for Girls.”

“She really doesn’t want to see Jesse,” Chelsea blinked, as if it wasn’t obvious.

“We didn’t see him all summer,” Lexi pointed out, in case we somehow didn’t know. “I wonder why. Do you think something happened to him or something?”

“He probably just never left his house, or he went out of town,” Aimee shrugged, since it was no big deal at all. It was actually good that we didn’t see Jesse Jacobsen at all for the two and a half months of summer… “But that doesn’t matter right now. What matters is that we’re going to see him today for the assembly.”

“Are they coming to Adeline or are we going to Cambridge?” Lexi now asked.

“They’re coming to Adeline,” Aimee answered. “They always come to Adeline. We’d be informed if we had to go to Cambridge.”

“I’m not going,” I groaned, falling back onto my bed and covering my head with my sheets. “You can’t make me!”

“We might not be able to…” Chelsea started, and I was kind of scared of what was going to come next. “But someone else can…”

“Austin!” Lexi cried from my doorway. “She won’t get up!”

I heard my brother’s footsteps as he made his way up the stairs. This wasn’t going to end well, I knew, but that still didn’t make me get up at of bed. I was pretty sure Austin was still scared about getting me out of bed from when I had almost taken his hand off…

That was why Dallas always woke me up. He wasn’t scared of me hurting him. I couldn’t even remember a time when I had hurt him. It had always just been Austin… Maybe it was because he was my brother and I didn’t care if I hurt him.

“Jordan,” Austin said from the doorway, almost causing me to laugh because I knew he wasn’t going to come inside. “You should really get up. You don’t want to be late.”

“I’m not going,” I snapped, curling under the covers even more.

I could tell my brother rolled his eyes. “Is this because of the whole Cambridge thing? There’s a possibility that you won’t even see Jesse Jacobsen at all. You’re probably just overreacting and thinking too much.”

“They separate it by grades,” Aimee informed my brother as she leaned against the doorframe beside him. “There are about one hundred kids in each other our grades. So there are going to be two hundred sophomore kids in the auditorium at the same time. Jesse Jacobsen is going to be one of them. There’s a possibility she’ll see him out of the two hundred kids… But then again there might be less because this assembly thing is optional, but recommended. So that means Jesse might not even be there.”

“Oh, he’s going to be there,” Chelsea snickered, causing my grip on my blankets to only tighten. “If he thinks Jordan’s going to be there, he’s going to be there.”

“I don’t have to go!” I snapped, shoving my head under my pillow now. “If I feel like getting up later before school starts, I’ll get up and just go to school. I’m not going to go to this stupid before school assembly thing if I don’t have to.”

“You’re going,” Lexi sighed. “The four of us are going, so you’re going to go too. Just because Jesse Jacobsen might be somewhere doesn’t mean you can just hide out in your room all the time like a hermit.”