Request - Insane (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"Evan? Evan isn't here today, sir. Only I, the great Hoodini!" Jonathan was surprised. This was the first time he had gotten to talk to Hoodini.

"Well, Hoodini, where are you?"

"Now, if I told you that it would ruin the fun, now wouldn't it?"

Jonathan huffed and started walking around the room. "Maybe, but we need Evan back. You can continue to be Hoodini there."

"Nonsense! I have to have my special lair in order to be as mysterious as possible."

Jonathan thought for a moment. How was he supposed to find Evan? An idea struck him, and he started to smile. "Mr. Hoodini, you are a magician, correct?"

"Indeed."

"Well, would you mind coming out and showing me a trick or two? You don't have to explain how they work."

There was a pause. "Wasn't the disappearing act enough?"

"I wasn't here for the disappearing act. Is that your only trick?"

"Ha! Of course not! I have many tricks up my sleeve, like all magicians."

"Then why don't you show them to me?"

"And why would I do that?"

"To prove that you're not lying. Plus, I could help you with some of your tricks if you want."

Another pause. "You would?"

"Yep. But I can't help you if you're hiding."

Hoodini started to laugh. "For a second, you almost got me! You know, I like you already."

"What do you mean I almost got you?"

"You tried to get me out of hiding. It almost worked, but I saw through your tricks."

Jonathan frowned. That was his only idea. He started thinking again. Evan had to be somewhere up high in the room in order for his voice to be carried out. "Hey Hoodini, do you think you could pull off your disappearing act again?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Just curious."

"Well, no, I can't. I only do it once, and you missed it. Maybe next time."

Jonathan found a ladder that was up against some boxes that nearly reached the ceiling. He climbed it, and looked at the row of boxes. There were about five that he could get to.

He opened the first box. Nobody there. He went for the second box. Still nobody. Then there was the third box. It was taped shut, unlike the first two. "Hoodini, I think I found your hiding spot."

This time, Hoodini didn't respond. Jonathan knew he had found it, and with some more effort, was able to open the box. There Hoodini sat, looking up at Jonathan. He gave him a sheepish grin. "Well, you found me. Are you gonna bring me back to my cell?"

"Well, yeah, I have to. Come on, I'll help you out." Jonathan lent out his hand, and Hoodini took it. He crawled out of the box and down the ladder before being led to his cell.

"Well, I'm back. You gonna leave me now?"

"No, actually. I have a couple of questions to ask you, if you don't mind." Hoodini's smile fell.

"If you mean my tricks, then I'm not telling you anything."

"I do not mean your tricks." Hoodini's smile returned.

"Well, in that case, lay your questions on me."

"When did you first stick with Evan?"

"He was six at the time. It was his birthday, actually. He had gotten this magician outfit that he absolutely adored. He barely took it off. He then created me, your beloved Hoodini."