𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑

────── ★★★ ──────

────── ★★★ ──────

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐒𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍

────── ★★★ ──────

A few weeks passed since Samuel was given the position of Wilbur's second-in-command and he was slowly beginning to accept it. The De Vil man liked helping his commander keep order around the camp and plan their upcoming battles. But the blonde boy's main job, and favorite job, was to train the new knights that had just arrived at their camp. From what he was told, all of the new recruits were orphans except for Jason, who ran away from a corrupt household. But none of them liked to talk about where they came from.

Like every other day since being given the position, Samuel found himself working with the young knights on their swordsmanship. He could never explain why but training them gave him a sense of comfort in the dark times. It was as if their training was the only thing he could control in his life. Throughout the day, all of them would work on their footwork before moving on to reviewing how to hold their swords correctly. At the moment, the De Vil boy had them showing him their stances and fighting techniques while he walked around to study their movements

"Nice work, Richard," Samuel praised after watching the thirteen-year-old swing his sword perfectly before the blonde boy turned around to face another one of the boys, "shoulders back, Fredrick."

After watching the boy correct himself, a small smile formed on Samuel's face. Just the sight of their quick improvement showed him that they would be ready for when it was time for them to go into battle. It wasn't long after that when the De Vil boy decided it was time for them to have some fun after a long day of training.

"Alright, boys," Samuel called out, drawing their attention to him before a giant grin formed on the former's face, "time for some sparring."

Their cheers instantly cut through the air in response to his announcement. They instantly dropped the sticks they were using and made their way toward the crate to grab their wooden swords. All of them took a moment to get used to the new piece of equipment and swung them around in the air.

All of them, except for Jason.

Jason was the youngest boy out of all the trainees at the age of twelve. From what Samuel had seen of him, he never wanted to train and always tried to watch their sparring sessions from the sidelines. The other trainees quickly took notice of this and would mock him every chance they had. The Willims boy appeared to be afraid of everything, including his own shadow. And that was something the De Vil boy was determined to change no matter how long it took.

Samuel just watched the boy for what felt like an eternity until Jason finally made his way over to the crate. The Willims boy stared down at the wooden swords before he let out a long sigh and picked one up. He adjusted his grip a few times around the object to get comfortable with it then turned around and walked back to join everyone. Once all the trainees were lined up in front of their instructor, Samuel began assigning partners. "Richard and Liam. Christopher and Jeremy. Fredrick and Alexander. Bradley and Ethan. Logan and Jason."