12

Isaline Winter

The forest floor lit up beneath my feet as I walked through the town of Braven, home to the largest population of supernatural creatures known to man. It had been a product of myth to most but to my mother, Braven was home.

My family on my mother's side had come from a long line of Feline Beasts called the Jamboree. The Beasts had always warriors, even in the very beginning. People from all over the world sought out the Jamboree and other Beasts in hopes to use our power for their own selfish needs but here in Braven, we were safe. We could settle down and build homes, raise families. We didn't need to hide our true selves in fear that we'd be enslaved; we were our own people.

I'd always thought that it'd be years before I ever stepped foot inside of Braven and as I continued onwards, I couldn't help but feel a sense of loneliness overcome me. Braven had been something like a bucket list item that my mother and I had come up with together. It'd been ages since she'd last been home and I had never been home before in the first place. Maybe in a different life, we would've come together but my father had been cruel and he had forbade us from ever stepping foot inside the forests of Braveheart.

Shaking off the dark thoughts, I let the wonder of Braven overcome me. It was essentially a mirror image of Braveheart, except everyone was supernatural. There were fairy run coffee shops; botanicals ran by sprites and pixies; psychic doctors and mental health therapists; ghostly policemen and witchy craft stores. I noticed that there were also a few humans lingering around as well, watching quietly as a man thanked a forest sprite for his bouquet of flowers.

Upon further inspection, I'd noticed that I'd caught the attention of several locals. They followed my every move with gold slitted-eyes, whispering amongst each other every time they saw that I was beginning to notice them. Suddenly, Braven didn't feel so magical anymore and I began to turn back around when a man blocked my path of escape.

He was tall and covered in thick layers of muscle—I don't think there was single ounce of fat on him. His gold, almost yellow, eyes contrasted greatly against his deep brown skin and for a second, I questioned whether or not he was wearing contacts.

"Excuse me," I smiled tightly. He didn't budge and I felt my heart rate spike. "I'm not looking for any trouble, sir. I stumbled upon this place by accident."

I tried to move around him but he blocked my path once more. Panic morphed into frustration within a millisecond and if he didn't move the second time that I asked, I was going to raise Hell on Earth.

"Sir, could you please—"

"Easy there, tiger," a voice interrupted. "We're not looking for any trouble."

I turned and met another pair of golden slitted-eyes, though her slits had begun to round off, as if she was trying to give herself a more friendly look. Like the man, she also had deep, dark brown skin but her facial features were borderline feline while he remained as humane as could be. Suddenly I knew what this was about and I wanted out as soon as possible.

"Just let me go," I rushed. "I have to get home."

"You are home," she smiled mischievously. "Aren't you, kitty?"

A snarl ripped from my chest and scared the living hell out of the both of us. I'd never made such a noise before in my life.