1

Rewritten/Edited: 02/24/2019 at 10:38pm

**********

Isaline Winter

The day was dark, dreary, and wet; typical Elysian weather. The sky was a sad shade of grey and raindrops pelted down on the hood of my leather jacket as I walked. Despite the depressing atmosphere, I smiled softly as I neared the palace entrance. I loved the rain because it reminded me of my childhood and the times when I would splash around in puddles all day long until my mother yelled at me. I'd be sick as a dog when it was said and done but as soon as I was well and the rain began to fall once more, I was outside doing it all over again. 

"Well, I'll be damned," a voice boomed in the distance. "Is that Isaline? Isaline Winter?"

I snorted. "The one and only."

I barely had time to prepare myself when thick, muscled arms engulfed me into a bear hug. My feet left the ground as I was lifted up into the air and I felt my ribs cracking beneath the pressure. 

"Oh God!" I wheezed. "Kiev, you're gonna kill me!" 

"Sandwich time!" another voice yelled before another set of arms joined in on the hug. I yelped, the pain in my ribs radiating towards my chest as my torse began to go numb.

"Dude, I think we're killing her!" Kiev shouted. He released me from his hold and at the same time, dropped me to the ground. I landed harshly on my rear and groaned. My body felt like the static on a TV as I began to regain the feeling in my limbs.

"You would think I was gone for years with the way you two act," I winced.

"That's cause you were," Kiev guffawed. I rolled my eyes and stood up, brushing off the dirt on my jacket before glancing back up at the two oafs.

Standing at a solid 6'5, Renley and Kiev were like two giant walking trees. They were brothers, twins to be exact. They were identical in everything but their looks. Where Renley had dark brown hair cut close to his scalp, Kiev rocked his signature shoulder length blonde hair. Over the years, they'd become the closest things that I had to brothers and while I loved the both of them to death, I wouldn't mind knocking either of them out from time to time. 

"Kiev, honey," I said as I placed a hand on his shoulder. "It was only a month."

"And a half," Renley butted in.

I gagged. "Don't remind me please." 

"We were still worried," Kiev grumbled. "You didn't call or write at all! How the hell were we supposed to know if you were even still alive?!" 

"You can't get rid of me that easily," I chuckled, picking up my bags only for them to be snatched from me. 

"Hey!" I whined. "I'm perfectly capable of carrying my own things."

"I'm perfectly capable of carrying my own things,"  Renley mocked in a high-pitched tone.

They each shouldered the rest of my bags and sauntered back towards the palace, leaving me behind. I glared holes at the back of their heads as they walked away, hoping that by some miracle they'd feel the intensity and drop dead in their tracks. It was my biggest pet peeve to be babied and the twins took great satisfaction in babying the hell out of me.