3

Rewritten/Edited: 2/25/2019 at 12:18am

**********

Amina Yusuf

I screamed in horror as I watched Isa's body drop, her head bouncing off the floor before she went still. I scrambled towards her and knelt by her side, flipping her over gently and placing her head in my lap. I could feel her pulse beneath my fingers but it didn't help the fact that she was unconscious and I had no idea what was happening. I had medical training, sure, but nothing could've prepared me for this.

"KIEV!" I cried. "RENLEY! ANYBODY, HELP!"

One of the palace servants burst into the room, a frantic look on her face as she took in the scene. She didn't even have time to ask what was wrong when Anastasia rushed into the room as well, her eyes wild.  

"I heard screaming," she explained, kneeling down beside me. "What happened?"

"I-I don't know," I stuttered. My mind was still reeling from what had just happened. "She was fine a minute ago and then she just dropped."

Anastasia nodded, "Where's the wound?"

With shaky hands, I moved Isa's hair out of the way and bared the cut to Anastasia.

"From what I know, Isa's been poisoned," I explained. "We were getting ready to go to the infirmary when she just dropped. I've never seen anything like this, Anastasia." 

The area surrounding the wound had gone an ugly shade of purple and black, the cut widening in size and oozing blood that should not be so dark in color. Around it, little black veins had begun to branch out, traveling up her neck and down her chest. Isa and I were the only colored girls in the palace and right now, she looked as white as Anastasia, maybe even whiter. 

"Is it bad?" I dared to ask.

Anastasia bit her lip in concentration and she began poking at the wound lightly, each touch causing Isa to jerk in my lap, "It's not bad. But it's not good either."

"What the hell does that mean?" I exclaimed as Isa began convulsing in my arms. Her body was thrashing like a fish out of water, foam spilling from her lips. The blackened veins had begun to branch out, spreading all over her chest and up her neck. They were becoming darker, larger, more prominent against her skin.

"Anastasia, help her!" I sobbed, smoothing back Isa's hair. 

"We have to get her to the infirmary," Anastasia barked. "They have a better chance at saving her than we do." 

"Should I fetch the Queen, Lady Amina?" the servant asked hesitantly. I'd forgotten she was even in the room. 

"Don't let that bitch anywhere near Isa," Anastasia commanded. "This is her goddamn fault anyways. Get the twins and tell them to meet at the infirmary in the East wing as soon as they can." 

I glanced back down at Isa, the foam still pouring from her lips and the veins still spreading up and down her body. I'd gone through Hell and back with this girl but we'd never been as close to death as we were in that very moment. She was still breathing and her heart was just barely beating but it felt like she already had one foot into the afterlife.