Chapter 65 - Disowned

"You have got to be fucking joking!" Kronos snarled, eyes like slits as he glared at the Primordial before him.

But Nyx smiled sweetly at him, moving forward to grab her brother and hug him. "I knew you weren't dead, Tartarus."

Tartarus stayed utterly immobile, glaring back at Kronos. "My domain," he said flatly.

Kronos scowled. "It's mine."

"Uh... Kronos, maybe it isn't a good idea to anger Tartarus," Percy said, tugging slightly on Leander to stop him from prodding Tartarus.

"It is far too late for that," Tartarus hissed. "Kronos."

Percy sighed. "Kronos, just give it to him. You've got time – that's enough."

"It is not enough when I need the monsters," Kronos said curtly.

"A deal, then?" Tartarus questioned. "I assist in this war between you and brother Erebus. You give me my domain. And I'll continue allowing you to use my monsters when you need them."

Kronos slowly took his hand. "Deal. Just don't back out."

With that done, Tartarus turned to study Percy. "You're a Titan now," he remarked.

"Yeah," Percy said, shoving his hands into his pockets. "And you're still alive." His eyes narrow at Kronos. "You knew, of course. There's no way you didn't. I should have known," he added. "Primordials can't be killed in their domain."

Tartarus inclined his head. "They cannot," he agreed. "And it seems that I am no longer needed." He studied the blue sky above them, peering at the sun. "You have Kronos to protect you now."

Percy blinked, glancing at Kronos before looking back at Tartarus. "What do you mean? I don't need to be protected."

"Everyone always says that," Tartarus mused. "You would, however, be incorrect. You do need protection. More so than ever, and so does Kronos. I'd like to make this clear, Perseus: I adopted you because you needed to survive my pit, to get this far. Now that that is done, I am not needed anymore. You see, even we Primordials are victims of Ananke and the Fates."

Percy's jaw dropped. "What?"

Tartarus chuckled. "Why did you think you were unable to use any powers that came from me? I adopted you... doesn't that mean that you should get some of my powers?"

Percy ground his teeth. "So I was never really your adopted son?"

"That is correct."

Kronos snorted. "Told you," he murmured into Percy's ear. Percy shoved him away. When Percy was being tortured by the Titan, he had been taunted relentlessly by Kronos claiming that very thing.

"So why?" Percy demanded, missing the faint look of guilt that flitted across Kronos' face.

"It was needed," Tartarus said simply.

Percy growled and spun around, storming over to the great doors of Othrys which parted in recognition at his approach. Kronos' eyes widened. "Percy, wait!" he barked, but the former demigod quickened his pace.

Nyx raised an eyebrow at Kronos. "What are you doing?" she screeched. "After him! Go! I haven't waited three centuries for this only for it to fall apart after a few months!"

Kronos scowled at her. "Piss off, Nyx," he spat out, causing her to cackle. He pointed a finger at Tartarus as he backed up. "This isn't over."

"I should hope not," Tartarus said.