Chapter 23 - Hanging Around

One week later (1 year, 9 months and 1 week after leaving Tartarus)

The sound of metal striking metal echoed around the arena, closely followed by Annabeth pointing out the mistakes of the campers as they practiced. "Keep your defences tight!" She shouted. "One lazy movement and you'll be decapitated!"

"I don't think that's going to help their morale," Jason noted as he watched the grim-faced demigods that were training in the arena. "We need something that'll keep it up. Even Capture the Flag isn't doing that anymore. Everyone keeps thinking that the Titans will attack at any moment."

"They could," Annabeth muttered.

"There's been absolutely nothing from them," Thalia said as she shook her head. "The last thing was when Kronos destroyed Williamsburg Bridge last week."

"Then when they somehow came through the Camp Barriers?" Jason asked. "And took Percy."

Thalia sighed. "We're not going to win this, are we?"

"It's possible," Annabeth said. "Definitely possible. Percy already set up basically everything for the training. I just have to continue it." She frowned at a pair of demigods who were arguing. "Thou gh nerves are running high."

"They're going to be," Thalia murmured.

"I've heard the gods are going to try to call in some old favours," Jason added. "With a Primordial or two."

"Really? Which ones?" Thalia asked.

Jason shrugged. "Aither, Hemera and Elpis are the three I heard about."

"And the Titans will have the support of Gaea and likely Akhlys, Erebus, and Nyx," Annabeth sighed.

"I'm sure Kronos will have Nyx's complete support," Jason smiled slightly. "Even in the bedroom... if it goes there, of course."

"Jason, please don't talk about that," Thalia scowled. "Just the thought makes me feel queasy."

Jason grinned. "Sorry." He paused before adding, "Though from what you told us, Annabeth, I don't think Akhlys would want to help them that much. She didn't really seem to like Iapetus from what you've said."

"Knowing even an inch of what Kronos is like makes me think he'll find a way," Thalia murmured, and Annabeth nodded slightly.

"Which is why we need to train the campers," Annabeth said as she turned back to the campers in the arena. "So if you'll excuse me, I need to make sure they're able to fight by the time the Titans attack," and she quickly strode off to help a younger pair of campers that were struggling to hold the swords they were wielding, much less swing them.

"The twins are doing well," Thalia commented as she watched said half-bloods fight each other on the edge of the group of campers.

Jason nodded. "Yes, they've taken to wielding weapons like moths to flames over the year."

Thalia smiled slightly as she watched Zoe launch a counter-offensive at her brother who hurriedly blocked or parried away the strikes. "Zoe would be a good Hunter."

Jason shook his head. "She's already said no, sis. Besides, I don't exactly think Nico would like you if you recruited her to Artemis' Hunters, and then there's Abiron to think about. If he gets angry it will cause a lot of damage. Remember when he accidently nearly destroyed the pavilion?"

Thalia snorted. "Zoe calmed him down."

"Barely. He wanted to charge to California and demand... Percy back," Jason grimaced.

Thalia's expression fell. "I hope he's okay," she murmured.

"Me too, Thals," Jason sighed. "Me too."