Chapter 33 - Revelations and Sack of Rome

Kronos was honestly regretting telling Iapetus to fire away – his brother had definitely done that.

Even after he'd left, Kronos was left staring at the spot Iapetus had been standing in. Kronos vanished in a flash of light, reappearing in front of Iapetus and grabbing him before flashing them up to his room and vaporizing every monster and demigod in the corridor.

He slammed Iapetus into the wall. "What the fuck do you mean?" he demanded angrily.

Iapetus shoved him off, his silver eyes flaring angrily. "Come on, Kronos, don't play games with me." He paused when he saw the expression on Kronos' face. "Or you're too scared to admit it," he finished.

"Admit what?" Kronos snarled. "I have nothing to admit."

Iapetus laughed. "What's that mortal saying? Oh, yes. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, brother. Percy Jackson has stolen your heart," he smirked. "I can see it. It's obvious if you know the signs."

Kronos snorted. "It's a universally known fact that I have no heart to be stolen in the first place, brother," he said smugly. "Your assumption is invalid."

"Then why are you denying it?" Iapetus laughed. "You know I'm right. Otherwise you wouldn't have chased after me."

"It is impossible," Kronos snapped.

"There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened," Iapetus smirked.

Kronos bit out a growl and spun around. "It's preposterous. I don't love."

"Then why do you not torture the kid anymore? Why are you putting up with him?"

"I swore to myself that I'd never love again after Rhea," Kronos snarled. "I don't love him."

"You swore that before Rhea too after our father's curse," Iapetus said in amusement. "That turned out as well as this has."

"I can't love him!" Kronos exclaimed, turning to face Iapetus again.

Iapetus studied his brother and saw the near hysterical look in his eyes. "Trapped between a rock and a hard place, aren't we here, Kronos? What to do?"

Kronos' expression changed swiftly as he realised what he'd shown his brother. He scowled at Iapetus. "Don't mock me," he growled. "This is ridiculous."

Iapetus laughed as he leaned back against the wall. "I think it's rather amusing."

"Of course you would," Kronos muttered, practically collapsing back onto his bed. "How has this happened?" he demanded.

"Finally admitting it?" Iapetus smirked, ignoring the stink eye he received. "Can we agree on something here?"

"Depends what it is," Kronos said, eyeing Iapetus warily.

"You're going to stay away from the kid, agreed?" Kronos hesitated slightly. "Kronos! Do you want to Titans to find out you've developed feelings for him?"

"I have not developed feelings for him," Kronos snapped, though the words sounded hollow and pointless. He paused slightly. "I could just kill the kid," he said, quickly warming up to the idea.

Iapetus raised an eyebrow. "You actually think you could do it? Drive Backbiter into his heart and watch as that spark in his eyes is smothered?"

Kronos frowned. "If I have to."

Iapetus shook his head. "I'm not surprised Rhea's staying away."

Kronos scowled. "She will deserve everything that happens when she returns."