Chapter 16 - Insulting the God King

The enthusiasm of the twins was infectious, Percy thought. They ran down the stairs with rucksacks over their shoulders and Zoe had tripped and almost fallen, but Abiron has seemed to sense it was going to happen and grabbed her arm to steady her. He had then jumped over the railing of the stairs and landed with a thud that Percy could have sworn made the house shake. Victoria had quickly descended, scolding her son for almost breaking the floorboards, and warning them against getting into too much trouble. He had then preceded to ask when they were going to get to kill a monster, which had started Victoria off again.

"He's going to get along with the Ares kids," Nico had murmured into Percy's ear. Percy ignored him and had calmed down Victoria, claiming that they definitely wouldn't be fighting any monsters any time soon, or at least until they could wield a weapon properly. Abiron had then claimed that he already knew how to fight – apparently Krios had taught him at points when Victoria was out – and he had taken out a dagger. It was at that point that Percy and his cousins decided to get them out of the house, before Victoria started spitting fire.

Percy quickly vapour travelled them all to Half-Blood Hill, and Zoe had immediately taken a liking to Peleus, surprising the three demigods as the dragon allowed her to pet him. Abiron had moved to stay at Zoe's side and seemingly act as a bodyguard for his sister as the gods, Chiron, and the demigods had approached.

Zeus looked straight at Jason as he spoke, ignoring the twins. "Do they know?"

"Yes," Jason nodded, "they have for a long time."

Zeus frowned down at the demititans. "Do you know your father, mortals?"

Abiron tensed and Zoe shifted so that her brother was between her and the irritated god. "You're Zeus," Abiron stated his eyes narrowing slightly. "I have a message for you from my father."

Zeus raised an eyebrow. "And what would that message be?"

"That you should cut off your balls and give them to Hera," Abiron said, grinning wolfishly. "And then tear your own intestines out and shove them up your earsling so far they'll come out of your throat. Earsling," he added.

The scent of ozone quickly descended over the hill as Zeus furiously looked at the demititans. "YOU DARE TO CALL ME AN EARSLING?"

"What's an earsling?" Nico murmured to Percy who was grinning as he watched.

"An arseling, Nico. It basically means they've dropped from the arse of an animal. Usually a goat. They're equal to turd on the ground," Percy explained, never losing his grin.

"Abiron!" Zoe exclaimed, grabbing his arm and pulling him back. "Father was in a bad mood then! Have you forgotten he continued to say Kronos was the spawn of Tartarus and crawled up from the depths of the Void?" She turned to Zeus and respectfully bowed to him. "I'm sorry, Lord Zeus, but my brother doesn't have a filter connected to his mouth. Mother's tried to alter that, but he's very stubborn." She looked at him sweetly, her eyes wide. "Please don't smite him. He's my twin."

Zeus frowned. "He insulted me," he protested.

Percy rolled his eyes. "Suck it up, earsling. You've probably been insulted hundreds – if not thousands – of times before."

Abiron nodded, realising what position he'd got himself into. "I didn't mean to say that. I think you're awesome because you chopped Uncle K up and threw him into Tartarus. And I don't like Uncle K, because he scares me."

Percy sighed as Zeus' eyes widened. "You've seen him?"

Abiron paused and grimaced. "I... uh, he visited once. But it was weird. He couldn't touch me, and he tried to skewer me with his black sword, and father and he almost fought in the living room, but mom ordered him to get out of the house. He tried to kill her, and papa attacked him. He scares me," the demititan said in a rush.