Ten. Nemmi

When thinking of love you only remember the sweet and the tender, constantly forgetting the fail and surrender. Remember it.

Senior Year.

"Damnit, I'm tired of this traffic. Jackie is expecting me." I said while turning onto the freeway. The cars were packed and i could tell that it would take about an hour to get home. I mumbled profanities and searched the streets for some options. They were two. It was either I stay on the free way and wait an hour or I go into one of the sleaziest areas this city had to offer. I glanced around, cocking my head like a chicken and rambling my options. Quickly I turned onto the sleazy area, much to the irritation of the driver behind me. "Get off the road!" He scram. I raised my index finger's neighbour and drove quickly onto the street.

I heard notifications constantly ringing on my phone; however, i wasn't going to take my eyes off the road for a minute. Soon enough they'll take my socks without even taking off my shoes, well at least thats what the rumours say. I drove slowly down the road, ensuring i took every correct corner. I saw the glinting of something up ahead, it looked like broken glass. 'Don't look that way. Keep driving.' I said to myself, and I repeated it, again and again and again. My phone started vibrating, someone was calling me. I refused to look at it due to the fear of getting pulled over and killed but it was a special ringtone, Noah's. I glanced at my phone, Noah.

Immediately I pulled over. Oddly, I straightened my back, as if to look presentable to a voice over the phone. "Noah?" I asked. 'Well of course its Noah' I mentally scolded myself, the inner me was nodding her head. "Yeah, uh, I need something from you." He slowly murmured those words. He sounded in pain, as if the words struggled to come out.

"Nemmi?" I sat in silence. "Y-yes." I said quickly before he thought I was dead on the other end. "Its them, again. I need you to get me from my house. They stole my car. They--" Noah spoke so fast but I knew exactly what he was talking about. "I'm on my way." I cut the phone and started to drive to the Martinez residence as fast as i possibly could, fly to realise i was already there. I looked at the broken glass on the ground, that must be the remnants of some violent encounter. I mentally prepared myself for Noah. Last time he was attacked the worst of it was a broken nose and him staying at my condo for a week. I stepped out of the car and saw him immediately, clutching his phone, passed out on the sidewalk outside his house. "Noah!" I screamed while running to him. His hand was contorted in such a way that I couldn't even begin to understand. "Baby. Help."

I helped him get up off the ground and dragged him to my car. "I-" he began. I cut him off. "Do we need to stop at the hospital? What's broken?" I asked harshly. I didn't need to hear the story to know I was going to be mad about it. I expected the worst, a stupid race on the stupid motorcycle. "My left hand." I drove towards the hospital and we sat in silence.

Slowly tears started rolling down my cheek and I couldn't even begin why. Was it because someone I loved was constantly hurting himself? Was it because no matter how hard I tried I knew he wold never stop? Or was it because i was horrible enough to tell Noah to stop chasing his dreams?

"Baby, I'm sorry." He quietly whispered. "I'm sorry too." I turned to an alley way and turned around. "Noah, I love you. We can't keep doing this." My voice cracked. "I know its your only way out. But, Im sure theres a safer way. they take everything from you. Constantly. I can't watch you keep playing this game." I began, the same speech of safety and struggle that I gave every time Noah was in any gang related affairs. "I'll be fine." He said, the same answer of cool and casualness that Noah gave every time Noah was in any gang related affairs.

I drove him silently to the hospital. We went to the same doctor, my step-father. He treated Noah and got a bandade on his hand. "C'mon, lets go home."