Nine. Ace

Good soup and old memories can break an ongoing tension.

Senior Year

I was tearing up laughing from another one of Jackie's childhood stories.

"What made you think that wagons were legal on the highway? " I laughed.

"That one movie about that one thing." She said smiling. Her dimples were mesmerizing.

"Your adorable do you know that? " I said. It blurted out of my mouth uncontrollably.

"Stop!" She blushed attempting an angry face but still looking extremely cute in the process.

"You want anything else?" I said turning around in a rush. I entered the kitchen and started cleaning the dishes.

"No. You feed me better than Nemmi that's for sure."

"Don't flatter me." I said giggling.

"I would hug you but I don't want to get you all sick. "

"We've been hanging out all day I'm probably already sick." She ran up behind me and squeezed me into a tight hug. When her body touched mine I felt this feeling. A feeling that I'd felt before but I couldn't figure out when.

"Its almost six O'Clock." She said as i finished the dishes.

"Oh crap. I have somewhere I need to be." I said drying my hands on my jeans.

"Where?" She said pouting. She sat on the couch cross legged like a seemingly happy child.

"My Dad probably expects me home by 6 O'Clock."

"Everyday? "

"Everyday." I answered sharply. I took out my phone.

"Wow. Is he at home?"

"Nope. He's at his club."

"What club?" She asked.

"His of course. The narcissistic old crab never shuts up about it."

"The Ventura swimming center down in the country side. "

"Yep. That's the one."

"Oh I didn't you were that Ventura."

I chuckled.

"Wow, well good luck."

"I can't leave you alone. "

"Nemmi will be back soon. Don't sweat it." She said flatly.

"Let me call her." I said dialing her number.

The phone rang once. Twice. Three times. I was pretty sure it was going to voicemail. I sighed. She picked up the phone quickly.

"Hey, Nemmi." I said as soon as she picked up.

"Hey Ace whats up?" She said cheerily. Besides asking why she was so happy I decided to go with it.

"Well, I've been taking care of Jackie the whole day..." I began. She gasped.

"Oh, thank goodness. Is she alright? I completely forgot." She stammered. Jackie mouthed a 'tell her I miss her' from the couch.

''Yeah, she's fine. She said she misses you.'' I put the phone on loud speaker.

''Well tell her I'll be back soon and I miss her too.''

"About that. I don't want to leave her here alone and your other roommate whatever his name is, isn't home." I said sitting down kn the couch next to Jackie again.

"Oh. Okay. What time do you have to leave?" She asked.

"Just about now."

"I'll be right there I'm at the 'Leek Garden' in town."

"So about 20 minutes. " I said smiling.

"Depending on traffic. " She replied quickly.

"Okay. Terrific."

"Sorry to do this to you and Noah." She said apologetically.

"Me and Noah? I thought Noah was with you." I said quietly. Jackie sat up attentively.

"I thought he was with you."

" I haven't seen him."

"Well then that's interesting. We'll talk about that when i get home in a few.''

"Okay. See you."

"By--" Jackie interrupted her.

"Wait! What are you doing at 'Leeks Garden' after school?"

"Bye guys"

Just like that she cut off the phone. Me and Jackie faced each other eye to eye with curiosity.

*•*•*•*

"Hey guys." Nemmi said greeting us at the door. I stood up from the couch to see her and ask her quite a few questions.

"Hey Nemmi--" I stood up to get to her but was left frozen by shock at who I saw her standing with. Beaten and bruised. Abused and appalling. Bloody and broken. My love.

"Guess who I found?"