Seven. Nemmi

Never doubt science to provide for you.

Senior High.

I walked down the hallway and didn't hear the annoying murmur of Jackie behind her door. I knocked on her door and there was no answer.  I knocked again. Nothing. I walked in.

She laying on her bed. Face first and no movement. I approached her slowly.

"Jackie." She grumbled something into her pillow.

"Are you sick?" I asked. She nodded.I gave her a pat on the back and she shifted uncomfortably.  I flipped her and kissed her forehead.

"I'll be back as soon as I can. Okay?" She smiled. I left.

I sat waiting for Noah to come by. I couldn't help but think of last night. There was some kind of connection between us that was unexplainable I could just feel it in the way we slept  together last night. The way he held me in his sleeo, pulling me closer. We had something. I didn't know what it was. I was drawn to him and it is something i cant control.  I love him. I know he's confused now but I know for sure he loves me.

"Hey. You okay?" His voice said to me. I was having trouble differentiating my thoughts from reality. I felt someone thoroughly push my shoulder. Reality.

"Nemmi to Noah. Noah to Nemmi." He said waving at my face. I stared at him cluelessly.

"What?"

"Lets go to school now. "

"Oh, right."

"Isn't Jackie coming with us? " I sighed, imagining her usual chirpy and highly active self bouncing around. Her cute yellow shorts that she usually wears on Tuesdays because we have gym and her toothy smile.

"No. She's not feeling well. "

"I guess it's just us then." He said taking my hand. We walked towards his shiny red Ford pick up truck. It always seemed new everytime i saw it.

We started on our way to school. The comforting hum of the engine surrounded us.

"Why so quiet?" Noah asked breaking the silence.

"I don't know. Just thinking. " I said staring at the window.

"About?"

"Us. Everything. " Another silence fell upon the car.

"Im sorry." He said.

"About?"

"This." He stopped to let some children cross the street.

"You don't deserve this. You deserve better. I messed up with us. But I did love you. I just didn't understand how. I mean I do. I--" He began. I couldn't let him do it. I wouldn't.

"Keep your eyes on the road." I said firmly.

"Right."

Our journey came to an end. He parked in his usual spot between to Swan Anderson's Lexis and Kevin O'connor's old Toyota Corolla. Noah held my hand before I left the car.

"Im really sorry. " He kissed my lips and I felt the sparks. I felt like I could live in that moment for eternity. But, I knew it was all an act.
*•*•*•

I began digging in my bag for my lunch. I walked blindly towards the Library. Suddenly a heavy body bumped into me.

"Oh sorry." We said simultaneously. I looked up to see a tall boy. He had pretty green eyes and clear brown skin.

"I was digging in my bag and I wasn't looking up." He said nervously. His voice cracked a little. He shifted to one side.

"Me too." I said staring into his eyes. He held out his hand to shake mine but I was too mezmerized by his face.

"Hi. Im Daniel. Dan. As in, my name is Daniel and you can call me Dan. Thats-" I shook his hand.

"Dan? Dan from Chemistry. " I said recalling the name Dan.

"Yes. My last name is 'from Chemistry'." He laughed. I laughed too. I looked down and realized I was still holding his hand. I didn't stop.

"Sorry. That was dumb." I said shyly. I fumbled my hands together.

"No it was cute." He said smiling. His teeth glistened.

"You are...?" He began.

"Im Nemmi Drawry. " I said shaking his hand again. I still didn't let go.

"Nemmi? Nemmi from Noah and Nemmi." He let go of my hand. He looked startled.  Then he laughed. I laughed as well.

"I see what you did there."  I giggled.

"I probably shouldn't be talking to you. He might come kill me or something." He said looking around the hallway. It was almost empty. Of course, we were near the Library.

"No. He won't do anything." I said remembering Ace at the back of my head.

"So where were you going?" I asked.

"I was just avoiding a group of jocks. I was heading to the Library." He said pointing backwards.

"Me too."

"You wanna eat your lunch outside?" I said. He looked away for a moment and when he looked back it was like seeing his face for the first time. It was amazing.

"Oh. Sounds like a date." I said smiling.

"I work fast dont I?"  I laughed and punched him playfully in the shoulder.

"Lets go."

I have to admit I like Dan from Chemistry just a little bit.