Ch 9- That Butler, Punishing

Ciel looked down at his paperwork, expecting Jill to leave after dismissing her.

However, he was surprised when she walked around his desk, kneeled on the floor, and pulled him into her embrace.

"Sebastian told me what happened to Madame Red. No one deserves to have to endure that," Jill said soothingly. He was quiet as his forehead leaned against her shoulder, his body stiff against her. "Despite what she did, she was a good woman and a wonderful aunt. I am so sorry for your lose."

"I do not appreciate pity," he said after a moment, pushing out of her hold, his brows knitted in slight anger.

"Me? Pitting the strong Lord Phantomhive? I would not dare," Jill smiled, the rest of her face still sad. "I was merely expressing my condolences." She stood and placed her hand to his head, ruffling his hair slightly before leaving.

He starred after Jill for a moment as he straightened his hair. He put a hand to his heart, feeling a warmth he had not felt in a long time spread through his chest. He had not felt this since his before his mother died.

*************************

It was exactly three minutes to midnight, the sun long gone from the sky and the moon shining bright.

Jill walked calmly down the dark corridor, her hands clasped in front of her. She knew this part of the halls so well, having spent six months living in Sebastians bedroom.

Once, just to try and escape him, she took a pillow and blanket and would sleep in Mey-Rins room. He found her, of course.

She could still remember how all it happened.

*****

Sebastian sat at the desk in the corner if his room, keeping the record books straight and balancing the books.

Jill lay on the bed, covering her head with her pillow to try and drown out the noise of his advicase and the light from his lamp.

She had only been there a week, and yet he had found the most annoying way to keep her up at night.

"Could you please cut down the noise?" she asked angrily as she threw the pillow aside and sat up to look over at him.

He looked over at her for a moment, those crimson eyes half closed in thought as he took in her tired form.

He reached up a long gloved finger and moved one of the large beads without looking at his papers and smiled as she grunted at him.

"You are insufferable!" she exclaimed as she threw her legs off the bed, pulled the covers off the bed, and stormed out of the room, yanking the pillow off the floor as she went. She felt his eyes on her as she left, not even caring she was running around in nothing but a nightgown.

She twisted and turned through the halls until she made it to Mey-Rins rooms. She knocked furiously on the door until a sleepy eyed Mey-Rin opened it.

"Lady Jill? What's the matter? It's the middle of the night, yes it is!" Mey-Rin yawned as she rubbed her eyes.

"I am sorry. I know it is late. May I sleep in your room, please? I can not sleep in-" she paused, realizing no one but Sebastian, Ciel, and herself knew that she was 'sleeping' in the butlers room, "my current room."

"Oh, of course! I don't mind, no I don't!" Mey-Rin smiled as she stepped out of the way.

"Thank you," she sighed as she stepped into the room.

The bed was only big enough for one person, and Mey-Rin had offered, but she insisted the floor was fine for her.

She only got to sleep for ten minutes when there was a loud knock at the door. She tried to get up to answer it, but her body would not let her. She could not even lift her head.