Chapter 27

I ran as fast as I could, tearing up the earth beneath me as I let the beast inside of me take over with only one intent, hunt. The world blurred together in a swirl of green and brown as I became the wolf and caught the scent of smaller prey. 

It had killed me inside seeing her in pain. Her screams still echoed in my skull as I shook my head violently, not noticing the fair sized rabbit in my jaws until I heard the snap of its neck. I couldn't go back to her, not yet, not like this. I needed to calm down more so I wouldn't scare her, she'd had enough trauma to last her a very long time. 

So I kept hunting until I was calm enough to control myself, and when I was, I ran as fast as I could with a couple rabbits still in my mouth back to her. 

When I got closer I slowed down and then walked over to the fire, setting the rabbits next to Damien. Before he could say anything I moved away towards the stream and washed the blood off of my muzzle. When I was sure there was no more blood on me I walked over to where Jerome was sitting with my Mate curled into a ball in his arms. 

I gently nuzzled her neck and let out a soft whimper in her ear before laying down and looking pointedly at Jerome. He carefully and slowly laid her against me and I curled around her body, gently nuzzling into her neck again. She was passed out, but she nestled herself into my body anyways. 

After I was sure she was alright, I looked up at Jerome and nodded at him. He had more of my respect now, because I could tell that he really cared about her, and that he would do anything to protect her. I looked back down at her and gently laid my head on her side, letting out a soft sigh and closing my eyes for a moment. 

Holding her in the water and hearing her scream and beg, it had cut deeper than anything she might ever say to me. My Wolf was still whining, wanting to make sure she wasn't upset with him. But her screams, Gods her screams were still suck inside of my head. It would kill me until I knew for sure she would forgive me.