Chapter 17: From MANY, to ONE, and finally NONE

Enjoy reading :)

After their mother-daughter talk last night, the two headed to Astrid's hut not waiting for the two men and one lad to return. Helka told her daughter to rest for she needed strength and the right mind to cope with her current situation.

Certain that her daughter was fast asleep, Helka went back to the Clubhouse to talk to her husband and the Chief. She still couldn't believe that her mother's findings were real.

"Where is Astrid?" Hiccup asked as soon as he saw her walking. Helka smiled. The three of them ~ she, Asmunŕ, and Stoick ~ were proven to be extra right every time they encounter Hiccup and Astrid, that they sure do care a lot about each other.

Stoick was right to tell both Helka and Asmundŕ about the hunters. Astrid wouldn't tell them any minor detail about it. She wanted to keep the worries all to herself. That's how she is and as her mother, Helka was used to that. However, no one can remove her fears and worries as her mother.

She had tried her best to convince little Astrid to become a healer, to experiment with herbs, to discover new plants and cures for illness but Astrid knew what she wanted to be at such a young age.

She was born to be a warrior. A shieldmaiden. A fearless lass. Helka did everything she could to reason with her, sure she herself is a warrior like her husband but that's the reason why she doesn't want her daughter to be one... she knows how hard it is to be one. The danger, the attacks, the possibilities are endless.

But being an offspring of the Hofferson Clan, Astrid is surely stubborn. And sometimes, even though she didn't like to admit it, that quality helps. It took her years to finally accept her daughter's wishes and since then, she supported her wholeheartedly.

Even in venturing beyond the boarders of Berk's archipelago.

Her little Astrid is no longer little and has grown beautifully into a fine lass.

And now, she's facing a rare side effect from the Crimson-Blue Flora. But something seems wierd. The symptoms were somehow different. Freya, her mother's book says that there will be hallucinations about the person you think about the most but what Astrid was experiencing right now wasn't ordinary hallucinations.

It was some kind of an illusion where anyone she looks at turns out to have the same appearance as him. Not the common symptoms that you'll imagine the person either living a dream with them or a horrible nightmare that you'll think off as your reality.

Apparently, Astrid's condition has extras. But maybe her mother's researches weren't exactly complete. Maybe Freya forgot to write someofthe details. She always seems to forget once she hot distracted anyways.

"Darling, Hiccup asked you a question." Asmundŕ's voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Oh, that's right. She's fine Hiccup. I'm sure Astrid would appreciate it if you take aome rest as well."

"Okay, thanks Mrs. Hofferson."

"Call me Helka dear."

Hiccup couldn't help but wonder why did Helka took long to answer his question. Could it be that there's something going on with Astrid? What is she hiding from him? She's been acting weird all thay long and he hasn't got a clue what is the reason behind it. He just hopes that she'll be fine.

Following Helka's suggestion, Hiccup headed straight to his to get some rest. Astrid would want him to rest. He couldn't help her if he, himself, is tired. He let the darkness took over him and made sure to himself that he will find out what's bugging Astrid the next morning.

Meanwhile, three adults stood in the Clubhouse.

"Alright, what's going on Helka? I know there is, so please do tell. Astrid is my daughter too."