XXIV

"Stevie, I really wish that you would come home darling. I still don't understand why you needed to go alone." I told her as she sighed loudly.

"Mick, I will be home in two days. Besides, I would think you would be glad for me to be gone so you can stop the facade we've been living the last 6 years and get back to doing whatever her name is." she says sarcastically and really, she's breaking my heart. The last 6 years have literally been the best years of my life. Did I sleep with other women from time to time? Yes, I did and I know it was wrong, but that's what Stevie and I had always known. I didn't know that she had been faithful to me all these years. Well except the last few weeks she hasn't been. She thinks I don't know, but I'm not stupid. She's been sleeping with Lindsey again and I know he's with her right now. But she's doing it out of hurt. Regardless of what anyone thinks of us and our relationship, Stevie and I really work together and I love her with every part of me. I never really thought monogamy and love had to go together but if that's what she wants, then that's what I'll do. I'm not going anywhere. I will fight until my last breath to have her back.

"Stevie, you know that's not true, and I'll never be able to say that I'm sorry enough. But please, you have to know that I love you more than I have ever loved anyone or anything else. Sharing a life with you has been the most wonderful experience of my existence. I'm so proud of you and the family we've built together. I'll do whatever it takes as long as it takes for you to love me again Stevie." I tell her.

She sighs again before answering.
"Until I love you again? You don't get anything do you? Do you think this would hurt so much if I didn't love you? I thought, I thought that we had such a wonderful life. I love you, I love you so much Mick, my life had been one disappointment after another. More hurt, more pain. I was alone. And then with one moment of fate, I'm expecting the twins and my life was amazing. I had a partner, a friend, a lover. And I have been so happy. And now...now, I feel like I've been wearing rose colored glasses and I see my life wasn't what I thought. My husband didn't actually find satisfaction with me as a woman and he went elsewhere. Do you have any idea how I feel? Don't answer that because you don't, Mick. I feel worthless and undesirable. Two things I never thought you'd make me feel. You were my hero, you saved me and now you've broken my heart." She whispers at the end and before I can respond I hear the dial tone.

I throw back a drink and walk through our home looking at all of the photos she has hanging on our walls. Her smile is contagious and the love in her eyes is palpable. I've made her feel that it isn't real. I formulate a plan and before I know it, I'm in the car speeding across Los Angeles. Finally I arrive and jump out, softly tapping on the door. I stand back and wait and the door opens.

"Mick, um hello. Lindsey isn't here, he's..." Kristen says nervously.

"Out of town on business?" I ask, knowing she'll confirm the same story Stevie has given me as to her whereabouts. If I didn't already know they were together, I do now.

"Yes, how did you know?" She asks, confused.

"Let me guess. In Phoenix?"

"How do you know all of this? Why are you here Mick?"

"Because Kristen, I love my wife and I'm not going to lose her." I say and she gives me a confused look.

"Stevie is in Phoenix this week 'working' as well." I say plainly and she sits down.

"Oh. Oh!" She says surprised and then she looks resigned. "I should have known. The way he looked at her, when she was here for Grayson, the distance, everything I should have known. I just don't know why?"

"I know why Stevie is, but I can't answer you as to Lindsey's motivations." I answer honestly and she raises her eyebrow at me.

"Stevie caught me being unfaithful." I mutter and she gives me a disapproving look.

"So, all the times Lindsey has left to visit your children?"

"He hasn't seen my kids at all. He must have been meeting Stevie." I say and she starts to tear up but pulls it together.

"Has this ever stopped between them?" she whispers.

"Pardon?"

"Have they been sleeping together the past 6 years?"

"No, I think not. This is recent. You see, Lindsey thinks of Stevie as his, he would have never been able to not rub it in my face. He told me the day after he slept with her when they began this. My wife is unconscious and he's rubbing it in my face in the hospital waiting room." I say shaking my head.

"Wait, what? Stevie was in the hospital? When was this?" She says and I can't believe he didn't tell her any of it.

"2 days after Grayson ran away. Lindsey didn't tell you? He's the one who found her." I tell her and I can tell her mind is reeling.

"He found her? What? Oh my god. He didn't come home until...."

"Stevie took off after finding out of my affair and ran right into Lindsey. I don't know what but the next day at the hospital he told me he'd slept with her and he'd found her. I punched him. And they've been carrying on since." I say and she sits in steely silence.

"How can you people be so blasé about sleeping with other people? These are families that are being torn apart because you all won't stop fucking people." She says in disbelief.

"It's all we know. Or known. Stevie had changed. I didn't know. Now she's reverting because she's hurt and Lindsey is telling her whatever she wants to hear. That's why I'm here Kristen. We have to put a stop to this." I say sternly and she throws her hands up in the air.

"Why Mick? Why should we? If they want to be together so badly then we should just let them."

"I can't speak for you, but I love Stevie with everything I am. I made a mistake but she's the best thing that ever happened to me. She gave me 4 children and I don't want to lose her."

"Well that's all well and good Mick, but I'm almost to my breaking point with Lindsey. I'm not her and he wants me to be. I forgave him the last time, though I'm not sure why. He has been sleeping with her our entire marriage. She gave birth to two of his children while we were married! Why would I want to fight for that?"

"He also abandoned her and those children. Look, if you don't want to fight for them, then I can't make you. I'm damn sure going to fight for my wife though. If you change your mind, let me know." I say and walk to the door. As I step through the front door I hear her call from behind me.

"Mick, wait. What do you have in mind?"