XVIIII

I wake up the next morning with a terrible pain in my head and my eyes are still swollen. I'm fairly certain I cried all through the night. I roll over and reach for Mick but he's gone. It may be childish, but I immediately feel the tears sting my eyes. I'm probably just overly emotional but I need my husband. I need to be near him, next in any way that I can be. I need to feel his comforting presence and just know that I'm not alone. It's not even about having sex, though that would be fine, I just need to feel him next to me. I have to. I need him. Mick is my rock. My very best friend. He knows me as well as I know myself and I am desperate for his presence.

I roll over and see on the clock that it is already 10:30, meaning all of the kids are off to daycare so I call a car, knowing I can ride home from the studio with Mick. I have to be with him. I get ready, finishing right as the car arrives and I am so impatient about getting there. Being stuck in the LA traffic is a nightmare and all I can do is think about the situation with Grayson. He absolutely hates me and it is killing me. I feel absolutely destroyed. I couldn't even talk to Mick about it. That's another reason why I'm upset that he went to the studio without even talking to me. This is our son. This is our relationship with our son and it needs to be the first priority, not the fucking studio. I do know that Mick has to play to clear his head though, so I'm sure that he deserves this time to figure it out in his head.

I finally arrive at the studio and send my driver away, straightening my clothes and hair as I get out. I walk into the studio and stop and the desk to talk to Cindy.

"Hey Cindy, what studio is Mick in today? I wanted to surprise him." I tell her.

"Oh sure, Ms. Nicks, he's in C today."

"C? He's not working with the whole band? That's the smallest one in the building."

"No, he said it was just him today, just wanted to try to work on some rhythm parts. Well, Richard's there too." She adds thoughtfully.

"Ok, thanks Cindy, it was good to see you." I saw and make my way to studio C. The light isn't on outside so I know it's fine to enter, Mick is actually recording at the moment. I close the door behind me and I see Richard almost jump out of his skin.

"Stevie, what are you doing here? We weren't expecting you today." he says.

"Good to see you, too, Richard." I joke. "I came to surprise Mick. Where is he anyway?" I say, looking around.

"Oh, he's uh, he's in the recording booth, just trying to get some things right. He said he didn't want to be bothered." Richard tells me and I frown.

"Well, I'm sure he'll want to see me. I've only been home a little over a week from a year and a half long tour. He can't have gotten tired of me already." I say sarcastically and walk over to the booth door.

"Hi, honey, you were gone when I woke up and I...Oh my God are you fucking kidding me?" I scream as I see the scene before me. My husband, my best friend, my rock, and the father of my children is completely naked and has a 30 something against the wall fucking her. If I thought my life couldn't get any worse, I guess I'm wrong because I'm actually pretty sure I'm dying. Mick immediately drops her to her feet and tries to get his clothes on as quickly as possible.

"Stevie, Stephanie, please. It's not what you think. Before you freak out, let's talk..."

"Fuck you! Is this what you've been doing while I was on tour? Is this what was keeping you so busy that the nanny was keeping our kids 99% of the time?" I say and then turn on the girl who look absolutely terrified. "You know that he's married to me, right? You know that we have 4 children together? They're all small. I can't do this. I can't fucking believe this." I say because I know I can't hold it together anymore. I break everything I can on my way out and rush out. I know Mick will follow behind me trying to talk. I'm almost to the entrance of the building when I realize I don't have a car and I'm in absolute hysterics at this point.

"Stevie! Stevie, baby wait!" I hear Mick calling behind me and I push the door open and run into someone.

"I'm so sorry!" I cry and try to get away.

"Stevie?" The person says and I realize it's Lindsey.

"Stevie, please wait!" Mick's voice is much closer.

"Stevie, what's wrong?" Lindsey asks, voice filled with concern.

"Lindsey please, you have to get me out of here. Now, please I'm begging you!" I sob and without another thought he rushes me to his car and gets me in and hits the gas so hard that the tires squeal. I look behind us and I see Mick standing in the parking lot and turn back around. I don't want to see him.

After a few minutes Lindsey breaks the silence.

"Where do you want to go? Home?" he asks and I shake my head before the sobs take over again.

"Please Lindsey, don't take me home. I can't do any of this right now. Can you think of anywhere I can go that he won't find me?" I cry and he's silent, thinking for a moment.

"I have a beach house in Malibu. No one will be there and I know you guys have never been there, we've had it for a couple of years. Would you like to go there?" he asks and I nod furiously. The ride is quiet except for my sobs. We finally arrive and Lindsey takes me inside and shows me where to sit and walks out of the room. I pull a pillow into my lap and cry into it, my cries becoming hysterical again and I know that I'm not going to have a voice for a few days after this. I sense that Lindsey's reentered the room and he hands me a glass of wine that I immediately gulp down greedily. When I put it down he pulls me next to him.

"What happened Stevie? Why are you running from him?" he asks me quietly.

I take a deep breath trying to calm myself before I answer. I know I'm going to break down but maybe he'll get some of the story.

"I'm so fucked up over all this with Grayson. I woke up this morning and Mick was already at the studio. I just, I just needed to be close to him. I needed him to tell me everything is going to be OK and that we're going to get through it all together. So I went to surprise him at the studio. The only problem is that I was the one who was surprised. I walked in and...and" I break off sobbing again.

"And what Stevie?"

"And he was fucking some girl against the wall in the booth." I almost scream and dissolve into hysterics and he holds me.

"It's OK Stevie, it's all going to be OK. I promise." He whispers to me over and over again and he strokes my hair, rocking me back and forth. I'm so overwhelmed and scared and hurt and confused. I hate my life right now.

"What can I do for you Stevie? I'll do anything to take this away from you. Do you want me to go kick his ass, get your stuff, what can I do Stevie? I hate seeing you like this." He says and his blue eyes are shining with tears. I pull back and just look at him for a moment before I respond.

"I need Lindsey, for you to take this all away. Even if just for a moment, please Lindsey-make me forget." I beg and he stares at me for a moment and takes my lips in for a searing kiss.