IX

"Stevie, you've got to try to drink this water." Karen was pleading with her as she was getting ready a few days later.

"Why, so I can spend the rest of the day dry heaving from drinking the water?" Stevie retorted. It wasn't like she didn't want to drink it, she just knew she'd be paying for it if she did.

"The doctor said you had to drink 40 ounces before your ultrasound so they can see the baby because it will be so small at this stage." Karen reminded her.

"Gee Karen, this is only my third baby, I had no idea what it would be like." She snapped and Karen sighed. She was going to be a pain in the ass today.

"Stevie, drink the damn water already. That new medicine seems to be helping some. God knows you need to try to hydrate a little or they'll be giving you IV fluid while we're there." Mick joined in as he entered her bathroom.

"I'm sorry, are either of you pregnant or sick? No? No one? Ok then, I don't fuc..."

"Don't start Stevie. We know we don't understand what you're going through. We're doing the best we can to support you and bitching at us isn't going to help any of us. Now please love, drink some water and take a bite of toast or something." Mick instructed and she rolled her eyes at him and grudgingly took a sip of the water Karen had brought her and Karen and Mick left her to finish getting ready.

"We need to leave in 20 minutes." Mick reminded her before kissing her cheek.

She heard Karen and Mick talking in the kitchen before she entered and she stood back to listen.

"She's been doing better since you've been here. I'm surprised you're able to handle all of this so well."

"I'm glad to hear that. As far as handling Stevie, you're forgetting that I've known her a hell of a long time. She's also the female version of me and so I do and say what I know I want." Mick replied and Stevie bit back a laugh. They were definitely cut from the same cloth.

"Stevie darling, you can come out now. You've never been much of an eavesdropper dear." Mick called to her and she entered the kitchen wearing a sheepish expression.

"Sorry, didn't want to interrupt." She muttered.

"Sure, sure. Come on, let's get going, don't want to be late to see our little lady." Mick told her as he wrapped his arm around her and led her to the door.

"Little lady? What makes you so sure mister? You know we won't find out the sex this time."

"Stevie, I have 4 daughters. I realize my lot in life. I only produce girls. And you've seen them, I make beautiful girls. Now if we combine that with the fact that you are, without a doubt the most beautiful mother of one of my children, I'd say we're going to have a stunning little girl on our hands." He told her proudly and her heart absolutely melted. She'd never had this before. Sharing this joy of an impending child with its father. And she had definitely been alone in the proud parent department, but she knew that Mick was going to be there every step of the way for her.

She was excited as she lay on the bed waiting for the doctor to turn the monitor toward them. After a few minutes her doctor laughed and turned her body and the screen toward an anxious Stevie.

"Well Stevie, you're in for a rough ride. This is daddy?" she said gesturing to Mick and Stevie had to force herself to listen as her eyes were glued to the monitor.

"Yes, this is. What are you talking about Dr. James?"

"Well first of all, I'm guessing your height difference isn't anything new to you, but that means a bigger baby. So that's not going to be comfortable. I had a tough time pinning things down, you've got a lot of movement going on in there already." She explained and Stevie groaned.