VII

When she finally gained control of herself she pulled back from Mick's embrace.

"Why are you here?" she sputtered.

"Lynn doesn't want me to come home. I thought you wouldn't mind if I stayed again. I didn't mean to overhear the conversation with Lindsey, truly. I heard yelling and I was worried when I couldn't find you. I'm so sorry darling. You are so incredibly strong and you are the most amazing woman. Lindsey Buckingham is an idiot who doesn't deserve you at all. You and the kids are better off, I can guarantee you that." He assured her. She nodded, not wanting to talk about Lindsey, but knowing she couldn't sleep yet either. She offered Mick a glass of wine as she refilled her glass yet again and they sat in silence, both deep in thought.

"I can understand not wanting to be with me. Really I can. I always could. I just don't understand not wanting anything to do with the kids. Mick, today was the first time he saw Liliana and he didn't even care. Didn't even look her way once. They're part him! How can he not feel anything for them? I don't understand it at all." She said softly, breaking the silence.

"I don't know Stevie. I don't understand it."

"He never told me to get abortions or anything, you know. It's like he's just never even given any of it a thought. When I told him I was pregnant with Grayson, he told me congratulations, that he was sure I would be a good mom. He was just so detached. At first I thought he was worried Gray wasn't his, but when I assured him that I was having his baby I expected him to lose it or be thrilled. He didn't even look at me. Told me that he knew it was, but he already had a family, that he didn't want to be involved. He wasn't going to try to stop me, but surely I could understand that we would not be a family. I told him I did and I could do it by myself. I thought he might come around but he never did. When I told him about Lil, he was the same. Said he knew I must be thrilled about having a daughter. That Gray would have a sibling. That nothing had changed. I told him I knew, just thought he might like to know."

"What I don't understand is why you slept with him again after everything with Gray to even get pregnant with Liliana."

"Well, I was still hoping he might change his mind. And honestly, I was lonely. I love Lindsey. It wasn't that hard of a decision to make. I know I'm stupid. I just didn't think he could honestly be this unfeeling." She said and she was definitely starting to slur her words. Mick looked over to her wine glass and saw that it was empty and poured the last of the bottle into his own glass, knowing if she drank any more she wouldn't be fit for anything tomorrow. He stepped into the kitchen for a just a moment, realizing upon standing that he had possibly had just a little too much as well and brought a glass of water out for Stevie, who had just polished off his full wine glass.

"Stevie, you're going to regret that last glass in the morning. Here, drink up." He said, handing her the glass of water.

"Just add it to the list of things that I shouldn't have done." She slurred and he couldn't help but laugh.

"Come on love, let's get you off to bed." He said, helping her up and practically carrying her up to her room and into her giant, four poster bed. He wasn't entirely sure how she got into this bed without help. He bid her goodnight and started for the door before he heard her voice call out softly.

"Will you stay in here with me tonight? I hate to ask, but I don't want to be alone." She asked and he could hear the vulnerability in her voice. How could he say no?

Stevie awoke the next morning with a pounding headache and the sunlight filtering in through her windows was not helping matters. She groaned as she stretched and her stiff muscles protested. As she became fully conscious she recognized an all too familiar pain. Oh no. No, she couldn't have. She tried to wrack her brain for memories of the night before. Screaming at Lindsey. Crying in Mick's arms. She had asked Mick to lay with her, hadn't she? She tried harder to remember the rest of the night. She had vague memory of looking up at him and telling him that he was just too tall and crawling on top of him.

FUCK.

She practically ran down the stairs to find Mick reading the paper and having a cup of coffee.

"Wow, you don't look as hungover as I thought you would be. How do you feel?" he asked, not letting on to her that anything would be out of the ordinary. Had she remembered an old memory?

"Um, not feeling great to tell you the truth." She said, not knowing if she should just ask him if they had had sex or if she should just let it go. He was married after all. God Stevie, what is wrong with you? Why do you always sleep with the married ones!? She internally berated herself.

"I'm feeling well. Would you like me to make you a cup of coffee Stevie? You could use it I'm sure." He said, standing.

"Sure, that'd be great. Umm, Mick can I ask you something?" she was trying to gain the courage to ask him. She couldn't not know.

"What is it love?"

"I'm so sorry to be asking this, but I am not remembering last night to well and I have some vague memories that um, well, I'm not sure. Um, well, did we um, sleep together last night?" she finally spit out and Mick chuckled quietly.

"Not that memorable? I can tell you're horrified, but I'm not going to lie to you. We did. Don't worry about it Stevie. We both had way too much to drink and it's not like it's the first time. Nothing's changing. We don't ever have to even talk about it if you don't want." He explained and she thought she was going to pass out. God, she felt so stupid and guilty. She loved Mick's family! She was his twin girls' godmother for Christ sake!

"I'm definitely not ready to talk about it now. I don't know about forever, but that's what I'm leaning toward right now." She said, not making any eye contact whatsoever.

"Sure." He said, handing her the coffee. "So anyway, about our session on Monday..." he said and she sighed internally, feeling much better with his attempt to show her that he was completely willing to forget about it and move on.