Chapter 27

Higarashi Saeko's POV

"Finally, there's enough time to breathe!" I remarked quite cheerfully while stretching my arms upwards to ease the tension my muscles were feeling after months of traveling one hotel to the other to help their kitchen. Silence greeted me first and knowing that my companion is thinking about something, I gaze upon him through the corner of my eyes. 

The ice in his glass of whiskey made a sound as he took a sip. His eyes were fixated to the alignment of different bottles of ardent spirits behind the bartender. At one point, I caught a flicker in those orbs of his. Saiba Joichirō, the man whose name resonated throughout the world earlier than anyone else could imagine, now sat there at his most vulnerable state.

"Saeko-chan, if you'll keep on staring me like that, I won't be able to stop myself." He boldly announced as he set his glass back at the marble counter. He took a lock of my hair, twirling it in his fingers and smirked.

I swatted his hand away from me and said, "Keep your hands to yourself, Joichirō. I am a married woman." 

A short, strained laugh came and silence followed. The only thing we heard was the music playing throughout the bar. He took another gulp of his drink while I took a sip with my juice. Call it lame but I've got a car waiting for me to drive outside and trusting this man to take the wheel is like signing my own death.

"We aren't made for each other. That's all."

My eyes literally shot up when I heard his words. I looked at him, assuming that he was joking but I could not find any hint of it in his eyes. "How..." Was the only word that I could utter after his line. 

A bittersweet smile tugged his lips as he revealed something I knew should be coming. 

"Gin."

I heaved the heaviest sigh I could make. My fingers curled tightly around the glass to curb my bubbling frustration. "Remind me to throw him into a pyre." I muttered in a voice loud enough for him to hear.

All of a sudden, he started to laugh while banging the counter with his free hand. "Man, you're still easy to read, Saeko!" He mused with his grin reaching to his ears.

I felt anger and embarrassment filled my mind all at once. I probably look like a cherry red tomato judging from the heat I'm feeling from my face. "I can't believe you—!" Those were the only words I managed to utter in front of his goofing face. I stood up abruptly, ceasing all the chattering around us. "I should thank the heavens for that!" 

"Hey, I was just joking! Wait, where are you going?" Panic was already evident in his voice after I started to walk away from him.

"Taking a long break like what you did back then!"

❄🌸❄🌸❄🌸❄

Saiba Joichirō's POV