Chapter 10 || Edited

Amidst the chattering noise and the cheery atmosphere of this small Japanese restaurant they've stumbled upon, two of its customers stood out. One was wearing a white V-neck tee under his grey blazer while the other donned her semi-casual attire. Both were notable chefs of their own field of expertise but right now, these two are here as individuals who wishes to catch up with each other. They were chattering over bottles of sake and meat—as presented on their table. The woman checked her phone and dialed a number of a person that might fry her once word gets out that she's been hanging out with the other chef.

"How's my daughter faring?"

"Is that so?"

"A bet?" The woman chuckled in her seat like the old times when someone manages to entertain her humor. "You're going to lose that one." She said with a great confidence. She pressed her cup of sake to her lips, sipping it little by little while listening to the other side. Once in a while, her eyes would wander to her phone then to the table and ultimately to the man in front of her.

"Me? Of course, I am siding with my daughter. But with her perception right now...she still has a long way to go." She replied after a moment of silence. The glint in her eyes showed her worry but her face displayed a great confidence to her statement. "Yeah. Please keep an eye on her and don't forget to bombard her with work."

Her words brought a frown to the man after she said it. He already has a tinge on the identity of the person she's talking to but he refrained himself from interrupting their conversation. It was none of his business as an outsider but as a parent, he could not help but show a concern over this matter. The second she hung up, the man brought his cup down and voiced his thoughts.

Higarashi Saeko's POV

"Aren't you being too harsh on your own daughter, Saeko?" Smirking in front of me while urging me to pour another shot of sake to his cup was none other than the man they dubbed as 'Asura', Saiba Joichirou. Did his unorthodox style contributed to this title? Maybe. I am not sure about it now since I've lost interest in this man after he left the academy without telling us his reason.

I sighed, obliging to his request and poured some on mine in the process before gulping it down in one shot. "It is for her own good. Besides, that man is already plotting something behind our back." I whispered. My voice was so low that only the two of us could hear. Luckily, no one was sitting at the tables surrounding us or I would not know what to do especially if that man has already wrapped his little fingers in America.

"That man? You mean, him?"

I nodded, picking out the cooked meat off the grill and putting it on a plate. "Yeah, that very person you were disgusted with." I mumbled as he poured me another cup to drink. I should be very thankful that I've got a lot of assistants to trust with in regards to the hotel restaurant. Frustration was one thing that bubbled inside my head. For years I was not able to foresee that evil plan that man concocted behind our backs. For months, I've turned a blind eye on his tyrant attitude and dramatic shifts when that certain woman comes close to our vicinity and for weeks, I have not deciphered what Joichirou meant before he left the academy until that day I overheard the man of our concern personally spoke of his thoughts.

"Watch your back, Saeko." Was what Joichirou said before retiring on his last night at the dorm. After hearing our kouhai slip a subliminal message after our graduation, it was only then that I realized the real reason behind Joichirou's disappearance.

Damn, I even prepared a farewell gift and a love letter of this lazy ass in front of me. I was planning to give those things after our graduation. But after he left, I burned all of it to ashes. No one but Gin saw that ceremonial burning of emotions. Then, a few months later, Director Senzaemon knew the truth but it was already too late for him to stop it. Our kouhai has already penetrated the Nakiri family through marriage, bore a child and brainwashed her to become a ruthless critic of her generation.