Chapter 20: Deny Until Proven True

Scooter's Point Of View

" Have you noticed anything?" I asked.

" No, not really. I figured they just bonded quickly." Pattie said.

" Me too, but Selena's saying that's not true," I said, not sure who to believe.

Pattie just shrugged, which of course didn't help me.

" I'm gonna go talk to him." I said, hoisting myself up off of the couch.

I walked over to Justin's section of the bus and found him laying on his bed, his attention directing towards his computer. I stepped in, closing the door behind me. Justin looked up from his computer and smiled at me.

" Hey."

" Hey," I said, taking a seat next to him in the bed." Can we talk?"

" Um sure," He said.

He closed his computer and set it to the side before turning over on his back." What's up?"

" Well, I've been hearing some...

things..."

" About?" He asked.

" You and Emma." I said a little hesitantly.

His mood immediately changed and the atmosphere became tense. He turned over and sat up, looking at me timidly.

" What about me and Emma?"

" Well, it's just that people have been saying that you guys have been a little... too friendly." I informed.

He shot back at me quickly, being way too defensive.

" Who said that? The tabloids? Selena? She's just mad because-"" I've heard it from several people, including the media." I said.

" You know how they always stretch the truth." He said, exasperated.

" Yes, but I'VE noticed." I said.

He became defensive again, possibly protecting what he and Emma had.

" And what have you noticed?" He asked, sarcastically intrigued.

" You guys just seem a little too close." I said.

" Oh so being nice to her, like you said, is wrong. Wow Scooter, I'm really sorry."

He looked at me and raised his eyebrow, waiting for my response. He was starting to catch an attitude, like he always did when he got cornered.

" Justin, you know what I meant."

" I mean, yeah I like her, but strictly on a friend basis." He said.

" It just seems like that's not the case."

" But, if I did like Emma, would you have a problem with me dating her?" He asked.

That was a tough one. I loved Justin and I knew he was a good kid, but I also wanted to protect Emma.

" I wouldn't, but right now you have a relationship to withhold and your fans would eat her alive."

" They already have." Justin said, almost ashamed.

" What?"

" Haven't you been on Twitter lately? They're everywhere." He said.

Honestly I hadn't. I never really payed attention to the haters, although I probably should, so I hadn't really noticed.

" Look, I'm just trying to look out for her. She's not used to the whole celebrity thing and I mean, she is my niece. I just wanna keep her safe and I'd appreciate if you did the same."

" I understand," He said." But don't worry, there's nothing going on between us." He said.

He seemed serious and, it could've just been Selena's jealousy that caused her to say something. They did seem a little closer than normal friends of the opposite sex should be, but maybe we were all just overreacting.

" Alright, well good show tonight," I said." Get some rest. We're leaving in the morning."

He nodded and I left him be, still a little skeptical. I decided to discretely keep on eye out on them, just to make sure.