Chapter 15: Caught In The Act

Emma's Point Of View

I walked into the bathroom and closed the door behind me, not thinking to lock it. I knelt down by the toilet and opened the lid. I hesitated for a moment before sticking my finger down my throat and forcing my lunch to make a reappearance. I groaned and fell back against the wall, my stomach not happy with my actions. It wasn't the only one. I wiped my mouth with my hand, still clutching my stomach. I got up and proceeded to expel the rest of the contents in my stomach when I heard the door open. I looked up and saw Justin standing in the doorway. The look on his face was something I'll never forget. I quickly pulled my finger out of my throat, sitting there like a deer in the headlights, contemplating whether to run or stay put. Justin made the decision for me by walking into the bathroom and shutting the door behind him. This was the point when the car gets tired of waiting and drives forward, concealing the deer's fate as the poor, innocent, clueless animal gets its' last views of the world.

" Emma..." He began, but didn't finish the sentence.

He paused, trying to figure out what to say. I guess I wouldn't know what to say in this type of situation either.

" Why?"

I leaned against the wall, not responding. I didn't make eye contact with him. I couldn't. I was too ashamed. Justin sighed and looked at the floor before looking back up at me.

" Emma, please just talk to me."

" About what?" I exploded." The fact that I'm Bulimic? There, I said it! I'm Bulimic! I am Bulimic! I make myself throw up everyday just to be skinny. There, happy?"

I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I continued to face the wall.

" No," He said." I'm not happy that you're doing this to yourself."

He turned my head towards him, although I still refused to make eye contact.

" Look at me."

He grabbed my cheeks and forced me to look at him dead in the eyes.

" Emma, you are beautiful. You don't need to torture yourself just to feel beautiful, because you already are."

I looked away, still ashamed.

" You don't mean that." I muttered.

" Emma Camilla Braun, you are gorgeous. Please don't change anything about yourself because you're perfect the way you are."

This time I finally made eye contact on my own whim.

" Really?"

" Really. I honestly think that you are absolutely stunning."

" But I'm not a skinny twig like everyone else around here." I said.

" Being sickly skinny isn't pretty. It's disgusting." He said.

" Not according to everyone else." I muttered.

" Society has a twisted image of what's truly beautiful," Justin said, taking a new siting position next to me." Nobody should have to starve themselves to feel beautiful."

I couldn't believe it. This kid was actually insightful. I sighed and stared off, still trying not to look at him.

" Emma, listen to me. I don't care what anyone else thinks, because to me, you're perfect."

It was one of the nicest things anyone had ever said to me and honestly, it made me feel pretty for once. Justin grabbed a tissue and wiped the corner of my mouth. I felt my cheeks get hot and I hoped Justin didn't notice. He helped me to my feet and I washed my hands and washed out my mouth. I scrubbed the tear stains off my face and fixed my running mascara. Justin opened the door and for some reason, I didn't want to leave. I felt like everyone outside secretly knew what had just happened and were judging me. Justin nudged me a little and I slowly walked out. I looked around to see everyone minding their own business and I felt a little relieved.

" Hey, Justin you gotta see this." Scooter said, motioning towards his computer.

" Okay."

He turned to me and grabbed my shoulders, staring straight into my eyes.

" Remember, you're beautiful. Don't let anyone tell you different." He whispered before walking over to Scooter.