Chapter 13: Talk It Out

Justin's Point Of View

She hated me. She absolutely hated me. She didn't even want to talk to me and honestly I couldn't blame her. After the stunt I pulled last night, I wouldn't wanna talk to me either. Somehow I always felt like I could find a way to screw anything up. No matter what it was, somehow something would go wrong and it would always be my fault. I needed to talk to Emma. Come to think of it, I hadn't seen her all day. I hoped she didn't run off like she did last time. News and pictures of that had already swept through the media and Selena was pissed, although she was always mad at something and it was really starting to get on my nerves.

" Scooter."

He looked up from his computer at the sound of his name.

" Have you seen Emma?"

" Not since this morning." He responded.

I ran outside and looked around, but I still didn't see her.

" Where's Emma?"

" I don't know." My mom shrugged, thrown off by my urgentness.

Before she could say anything else, I ran off to keep looking for Emma. As I walked through the lot, I saw Selena tanning near the back entrance of the building.

" Have you seen Emma?"

" Do I look like her babysitter?"

" Do you know where she is?" I asked in a firmer tone.

She lowered her sunglasses so her brown eyes could meet mine and sighed.

" She walked by here like thirty minutes ago. I think she went that way."

She pointed towards the city and I started to panic.

" Thanks." I said, already making my way in that direction.

I know it was kinda stupid that I was freaking out about her disappearing because it wasn't unusual, but for some reason, I felt like I had to protect her. Not just from my fans and the paparazzi, but from getting lost, in the city and in this new world Scooter threw her into. This industry was a tough, scary, unforgiving place and Emma was just so innocent. I was afraid that if I didn't constantly watch out for her, she would get swallowed up and eaten alive.

As I walked through the parking lot, I noticed some steep grassy hills that overlooked the arena. I stopped for a second and noticed something that looked like Emma's blurred figure in the distance. I trekked up the hill and saw Emma sitting on the ground, hugging her knees to her chest.

" You always seem to find a place to run off to." I said, taking a seat next to her.

She stared at me with a look of intrudence on her face.

" It's my way of escaping reality." She said, looking down at the arena.

I sat there uncomfortably as Emma continued to ignore me, her eyes focused somewhere else. I sighed and decided to break the awkward silence.

" Look I know you hate me but-"" I don't hate you," She said interrupting me." I'm just mad at you."

" Why?" I asked, although I already knew why.

" Because you can kiss me in private, but you can't even be seen with me in public?"

This was it. This was the moment if truth. It was the perfect moment to tell Emma how I really felt about her. I took a deep breathe, making sure the words came out right instead of like word vomit.

" Okay look, I like you; a lot. I've liked you since the moment I laid eyes on you."

Emma looked at me, shocked and surprised.

" I-"" Will you please let me explain?"

" I mean sure." She said a little uneasily.

" Come on," I said, extending my hand out and helping Emma to her feet." Let's walk."

We began to walk down the hill, taking in the gorgeous summer day.

" So what's up with you and Selena?" She asked.

I debated on whether or not to tell her the truth. Selena would kill me if I told her, but I didn't really care what she thought.

" Our relationship is fake."

She didn't look as shocked as I thought she would be.

" It was set up by our managers to help boost our careers."

" So you guys were faking the entire time?" Emma asked.

" No, not at first. I really liked her, but she was way to clingy and controlling to I broke up with her. Both our managers noticed that the public couldn't get enough of our relationship so they told us to stay together."

" Oh." She said, sounding almost disappointed.

" If I could break up with her and completely cut her out of my life I would, but it's not that easy."

" So you guys are just gonna stay together forever?" Emma asked.

The way she asked it made it sound like what we were doing was wrong, although I knew it was.

" Okay, this is going to sound bad, but when we start to fade, we're gonna 'break up'."

Emma didn't say anything and I didn't take that as a good sign.

" I would choose you over her any day."

That didn't seem to please her. She still looked mad, or confused. She still wasn't looking at me so it was hard to interpret her expression.

" But why? Selena's so pretty and talented and rich and I'm just a backwoods nobody who can't even-"

Out of impulse I shoved my lips against hers. She didn't protest, she leaned into my kiss as if she wanted it. My hand found its way to the side of her face as she moved a little closer to me.

" I choose you because you're beautiful, sweet, funny. You treat me like a regular person and I really appreciate that."

" But I'm no one. No one knows who I am. I'm no high class socialite or some millionaire singer."

" And that's why I like you. You remind me that I'm still a normal kid."

" I just don't understand why someone like you would like someone like me. I'm not-"

I cut her off again by kissing her.

" You talk too much, and sometimes I really need you to shut up so I can kiss you."

I wrapped my hand around her waist and pulled her closer to me, not wanting to let her go.