12: I'm Sorry

*Later That Night

"Hey..." Clementine greeted her brother. He looked up at her and a small smile formed on his face. "Hey Clem." He sighed and frowned. "Just... needed some air." He said. "Jake, there's air everywhere." Clementine stated the obvious and sat beside her brother.

"I uhhh... I'm sorry f'er how I treated ya after Sarita... died" Jake started. "I couldn't handle everything at once." He said. Clementine looked at her feet. "Ya did whatcha thought could help. And I blamed you for it." Jake said to her. "I... I could've done more." Clementine said as a frown formed on her face. "Naw bro, ya did everything you could." Jake nodded his head and said, "I can be a real asshole sometimes."

Clementine shook her head. "Stop." She said. "No... it's true... and you know it. But..." He took a breath and said, "I miss mom 'n dad. I miss 'em so much." He started. "I know I wasn't the best son... made mistakes... wasn't there at home. Off on my skateboard or other." Jake scowled. "I thought I enjoyed that time away from y'all... from my sister, mom, dad... my family." Jake said. "But I'd do anything for just one more second with them..." He added. Clementine nodded, a tear falling from her eye.

"Havin' dad ask for tips about skatin'... to hear mom's laugh... anything in the world..." Jake said. It ripped Clementine's heart out to hear Jake admit that he missed their parents. She then remembered that she didn't even tell him what happened to them. She decided not to. She didn't want to ruin the nice moment with her brother.

"I miss mom and dad too... all those good memories... but at least they can still live with us..." Jake slightly glanced at her. She smiled and said, "In our hearts." Jake slightly smiled and nodded.

"It'll be different with that kid." Jake said, referring to AJ. "He's gon' get raised right. I ain't makin' the same mistakes again. That's a promise." He said. Clementine hugged herself for warmth. "You should get back over by the fire." Jake told her. "Ain't no sense in both of us bein' over here." He added. "Come with me." Clementine said as she stood up. Jake looked to the ground and let out a heavy sigh, shaking his head. "Come on... it'll be good for everyone." Clementine assured with a warm smile. "Yeah, okay." Jake said and stood up.

Before they walked over to the fire, Clementine gave her brother a hug. "I love you." She told him. Jake smiled. "I love you too, Clem." He said.

Finally. Clementine felt good that she and her brothers relationship was finally restored.

Clementine broke the hug and smiled at him and walked back to the fire with her brother.