22: Change of Heart

Clementine couldn't get comfortable on the cold floor. She sat up and placed her arms on her legs. Suddenly, the door opened and in came Noah again.

"Jake's inside the camp. Killed several of us." Clementine shrugged. "Why should I care?" "Because..." Noah said. He aimed his gun at Clementine. "Move." He said. Clementine moved to the side. Noah shot the lock on the gate. "Let's go." He said. But Clementine grabbed him and pushed him into the wall. "I should kill you right now!" She said. "No wait! Please. I can help you!" Noah said. "Help us?! How can we trust you again?!" Clementine said.

"Please, Clem. I won't sell you out again. I promise." He told her. Clementine thought about it for a second before letting him go. "You better not." Clementine told him. "Okay. Come on, let's go." Noah said.

He suddenly stopped. "Forgot something." He said. He quickly dashed into the room and grabbed a map.

"We're going to need this." He said. "For what?" Clementine asked him. "There's a city a few miles from here. We'll be walking for a few days, but we should make it there." Clementine shrugged. "Who runs the place?" She asked. "The guys name is Ford. Hopefully he'll let us in." He said. He tucked the map away and the two ran down the hallway.

Two hunters came out of a room. "Yeah, we think he's- Hey what are you doing, Noah?" He asked as he saw Clementine behind him. "I... uhhh..." Noah quickly raised his gun at the hunter and shot him. The other one already had his gun in hand and shot Noah in the shoulder. Clementine grabbed Noah's gun and shot the hunter twice before he dropped dead. Noah leaned against the wall. Applying pressure to the gunshot. "Ah fuck! Shit!" Noah muttered. "Are you okay?" Clementine asked him. "I should be good. Let's just find Jake and get outta here." Noah told her.

A shotgun blast echoed through the hall. Startling the two. Another shotgun blast echoed. A hunter flew out the door as a shotgun was shot at him. Jake suddenly walked out the door and pumped it.

He looked up at the two. His eye widening. "Clementine." He said. "Jake, thank god." She said. "Are you okay?" She asked as she hugged him. "Yeah, I'm good." He said. He looked at Noah. Rage boiling inside. "Aw, this fuckin' kid is dead." Jake said as he pushed passed Clementine. "Jake, wait." Clementine said. "Jake, please." Noah pleaded. "I'm sorr-" Jake punched Noah to the ground. "You fuckin' son of a bitch!" Jake said and aimed his shotgun at Noah. "Jake. Stop!" Clementine said. "Jake, he can help us!" Clementine said, dragging her brother away from Noah.

"Y'er so fuckin' dead, kid!" Jake said to him. Noah slowly stood up. "Jake. Please. I'm sorry. I truly, truly am." Noah said. "I'll explain later. But what's best for all of us now is to get the hell out of here. Or they're going to kill all of us." He said to them. "Let's just worry about staying alive." Clementine said. Jake sighed. "Okay. But when we get outta here..." Noah nodded. "You can kick my ass. Let's just go." Noah said.

============

Trails of bodies lied on the ground. Likely from Jake. "Were these guys you?" Noah asked. Jake just shrugged. "Just shut up and move!" Jake demanded. Noah didn't say anything to provoke him. Clementine looked at Noah. He was hurt. And badly. If he didn't get it treated, he would soon die.

"Hey, look." Clementine said, lightly gripping Noah's arm. "Even though you were one of them, thanks for letting me go." She said. Noah shrugged. "I joined them because I lost all hope after my sister died." Noah told her. Clementine finally knew why he was a hunter. Noah joined them out of desperation. He smiled at her. "But you gave me new hope."

A sudden gunshot echoed. Noah shouted in pain. He was shot again. Two other bullets flew into Noah's stomach. "Shit! Get down!" Clementine shouted. The three of them ran for cover. Noah being slower then them. Noah took cover beside Clementine.

"Aw fuck. Son of a bitch!" Noah said. "Noah-" "I'm not making it outta here Clem." He told her. "Take the map and the two of you get out of here." Clementine took the map and looked at him with remorse. "Don't be feeling sorry for me. I'm the one who dragged you into all this. Go!" He said to her. Clementine looked over at Jake shooting at the hunters. Quickly crouching as a bullet whizzed passed him.

Clementine looked at Noah and nodded. "Okay. Okay. Good." Noah said with a reassuring nod. Clementine was about to run to Jake, when Noah gripped her arm. "Clem..." She looked at him. "I guess I'll never get to say this passed this moment, might as well tell you now..." Clementine shook her head with confusion. "Tell me what?" Noah looked into her hazel eyes.

"I love you..." He told her.

Clementine looked at him. Lost for words. "Now. Go." He told her. Clementine stood up and dashed toward Jake. "Come on! Let's go!" She told him. Jake stood up with her and ran. Noah watched as the two disappeared. He heard the footsteps inching closer to him. He closed his eyes and waited.

Moments later, he was killed by the hunters.