Bonding with lies

Phil's POV

Although Shane has apologized for all of the emotional and physical pain he has conflicted on me and is trying hard to replace himself back into the old Shane he once was, it still took me by surprise when he suggested that we should hang out to bond with each other. It shows to me just how much things are changing and I'm so happy I don't have to feel afraid of Shane anymore. In the mean time while I wait for the time to pass I'm spending time with Dustie. He makes these weird gargling noises as I playfully tug against the toy bitten in his mouth. He lets go and I take the opportunity to throw it across the room, watching as he jumps for it. Hes so playful and full of energy that sometimes he can keep me up at night from his constant need of attention. I feel so grateful for Dan and his family going out of their way to find me a birthday gift they knew I would love just as much as it would love me back. Finally I have my own pet who is my new best friend no matter what I do he will always love me because pets don't judge you for anything. Owning a pet relieves so much stress that I desperately need to be gone, even though sometimes he can be a pain from how needy he is and he may or may not have peed on the carpet a few times. Probably how I was like when I was younger.

I throw the toy once more before jumping to the sound of my phone ringing. I reach over beside me for my phone, smiling when Dan's number is displayed on my screen.

"Hello customer service how may I assist you today?" I answer with as I jump up onto the couch. I hear his soft chuckle to my joke across the phone.

"Hi yes, I would like to order a boyfriend. I have been sitting at home doing nothing but scrolling through tumblr for the passed 12 hours and need someone to come entertain me." He plays along with my joke, making me smile.

"Oh I'm sorry we are fresh out of boyfriends today. Is there anything else I can help you with sir?" I ask, causing there to be a moment of silence between Dan and I. I continue throwing the toy for Dustie as I wait for his response.

"Just come over." He gets straight to the point. I cover my mouth with my hand and bite down on my tongue to avoid laughing out. Once I'm passed that I uncover my mouth but keep the smile.

"I would love to-"

"Great!" Dan interrupts me before I finish.

"But I already have plans." I finish my sentence. I take a second to process that I had to refuse hanging out with Dan because I actually have plans with someone else other than my dad.

"Oh." Dan sighs. His excitement drained out of him "With who?" He asks.

"Shane. He wants to take me out somewhere." I inform, still feeling a little shocked that this is happening.

"Like a date?" Dan asks. I shake my head and smile to the hint of jealousy in his voice.

"Yes Dan he asked me out and now I'm telling you about it." I sarcastically respond with. Shane would never do something like that since he knows my love for Dan and considering we are step brothers that would be weird. However we have talked about his sexuality before and he believes that he may in fact be bisexual. He doesn't like to admit it considering how he used to treat anyone who were gay, and that's the reason why he became homophobic in the first place. He was angry at himself for feeling these emotions for the same sex and it made him feel confused, insecure, scared, and he knew how people would treat him if he ever admitted those feelings, so he became the bully. Its reliving knowing he doesn't feel that way anymore and is able to admit to someone that he does happen to like guys and doesn't feel full ashamed about it. Just have to help him accept it more and even embrace it.