Why Phil?

Dans POV•

It took me a while but I finally find the drama room. I was about 8 minutes late when I finally showed up. I walk in and all eyes were glued to me.

"And who may you be?" A girl, most likely the drama teacher, asks me. I awkwardly stood there as everyone stares at me.

"Umm. I'm Dan. I'm new." I inform. The teacher looks down at her paper and nods her head.

"Well Dan. I'm Mrs.Brooks, the drama teacher. Please have a seat on the floor with the others." Mrs.Brooks says. I scan the class and I notice I have one of Shane's friends in this class. He was tall, brown haired like mine but his is up in a fringe style. He had facial hair and green eyes. I didn't want to sit next to him but there was no where else to sit. Unless I want to sit with the girls who are eyeing me up and down, I'd rather not. I guess he will do. I walk over and sit down next to him. "Now class, we are going to be doing something we call Improv. Anyone know what Improve is?" Mrs.Brooks asks. I love Improv. I raise my hand. "Yes Daniel." Mrs.Brooks asks.

"Improv is acting without a script." I say. She smiles and nods her head.

"Very good Daniel. Now I want you guys to get into partners and make up your own little skit." Mrs.Brooks announces. This is going to be weird for me. I don't know anyone. I look over and I see Shane's friend turn to me.

"Hey Dan." He calls to me. I sigh to myself.

"Yeah?" I say. I didn't really want to talk to him. He was there when I heard Shane call Phil a faggot and there when Shane rudely brought me into hurting him. Sure he didn't say anything but he didn't do anything about it either. I don't want to be partners with someone who hurts Phil.

Phil...Why is all I can think about is Phil? I barley know the guy, but yet there's something about him that makes me want to get to know him. I shake my head as I try to get him off my mind.

"I was wondering if we could be partners?" He asks. I groan a little to his suggestion. I guess I have no choice since I don't know anyone else in this class. I nod my head and we both stand up. "Hi." He greets while sticking out his hand. "My name is Joey." He introduces himself as I shake his hand. "Just so you know I'm nothing like Shane." Joey adds. I look up at him.

"What do you mean?" I ask. Joey sighs.

"I'm not mean like him." Joey reassures while looking at the ground. Maybe I was wrong about him? Maybe he doesn't hurt Phil. "I don't like what he does to people. It's terrible and wrong." Joey adds whiling kicking his foot a little.

"Then why do you hang out with him?" I ask. Joey stops moving his feet.

"We've been best friends since middle school. He used to be really nice and kind of nerdy but ever since grade 10 he has changed." He explains. I feel bad now since I misjudged him.

"That sucks." I comment. Joey nods his head in agreement.

"I don't leave him because I'm scared of what might do, or will do. He doesn't like it when people turn against him and I don't want to get hurt. It's just easier to stick with him." Joey continues. I guess that's understandable. "I also don't leave him because deep down inside I always convince myself that he will change back to his normal self. I've been telling myself that for months now." Joey adds, still looking at the ground. I heard him sniff which made me believe he was trying to fight back tears.

"Come on." I say while patting his back. "Let's figure out what we are going to do for our skit." I change the subject. Joey looks up at me and smiles. He nods his head. Maybe I could be friends with Joey, and he can slowly slip away from Shane and he can be happy and not have to deal with Shane anymore, and maybe we can become friends with Phil. Phil. My mind always leads back to Phil. I'm not gay yet I have this feeling about Phil. No, no I don't. I sigh and Joey and I talk about what we are going to do.

__________________

"So you'll come over today and we can work on this, okay?" I ask. Joey nods his head. "And Joey?" I call to him as I grab my backpack. He looks up at me. "Can you tell me why Shane doesn't like Phil?" I ask.

"Why?"

"Because I'm curious. I also want to get to know Phil as well." I say. Joey nods his head.

"Will do." He says. We both walk out of the drama room and head to the cafeteria since it is lunch. "Come on. My groups over here." Joey says, gesturing to his head to his table. We walk over and Joey places his food next to this curly brown haired kid with almost greenish-mint eyes. "Dan, this is PJ, PJ, this is Dan. He is new." Joey introduces us.

"Hello Dan. Nice to meet you." PJ says.

"PJ is also good. The rest of the table, not so much." Joey whispers into my ear. As Joey leaned in, Shane plopped down Infront of us.

"What the hell do you two think you are doing?" Shane raises his voice. Joey quickly moves away.

"Nothing I swear." Joey quickly lies.

"Good, because if you two were getting close than you might as well make your way over to that troubled kid. I don't need to be hanging out with faggots." Shane says while taking a huge bite out of his burger. I sigh. I look up at Shane and he was blabbing a way to the rest of the table. I look around and notice Phil sitting at a table by himself. I think about what Shane just said. He most likely was referring to Phil, but why him? Why is he treated like this? What has he done to deserve this? I don't want to cause trouble with Shane but at the same time Phil doesn't deserve the way Shane treats him. I make a spilt decision

"I'll be right back." I say while getting up. I really wanted to go sit with Phil. Not even caring about what Shane thinks.